Please sign in to post.

Air France

Flying from Paris to Biarritz next week on Air France (Operated by HOP) How strick are they about accessory carry on item?
Email state Accessory Dimensions 16 x 12 x 6, my Eddie Bauer 30L Stowaway day bag is 19 x 12 x 9. no weight limit on this item.
My day bag will not be filled to capacity, I will also have my Rick Steves' carry on bag that meets their requirements.
Thanks

Posted by
2745 posts

I’m pretty sure they allow two items and you seem to have three. So you need to figure out how to consolidate down to two.

As to how strict they are this is their budget airline carrier so they could be strict. But the truth is no matter what anyone on here says if your luggage is oversize and they say no you’re out of luck. What’s happened to any of us in the past is not relevant.

Posted by
775 posts

I agree with Carol. It’s basically “Dependo” on whole bunch of stuff. If you are not within the stated limits you take your chances no matter what others say.

Posted by
68 posts

Thanks Carol and Margie, my husband sez "stop worrying, check the Rick Steves' luggage". Perhaps he's right...this time!

Posted by
6421 posts

Assume that the dimensions they mention are what you allowed to bring.

I would not call Hop a budget airline, it is a subsidiary of Air France that operate regional flights. And do so with smaller planes, so the space available will be limited.

(Although my suggestion would be to take the train from Paris to Biarritz (unless this is a connecting flight), it's 4 hours by direct TGV.)

Posted by
6916 posts

In my experience, Air France/Hop are not strict about dimensions. I always travel with a carry-on that is 2 inches too wide (40 cm vs 35) and it has never been an issue even in recent occurrences.

Here, it is theoretically 3 inches too large in two dimensions: if it is full, it will be obvious, but if not, it probably does not matter. I would chance it.

Posted by
68 posts

Badger, my original plan was to spend the night in Paris and take the train the next day. However, a very vivid memory of a transit strike in Paris clouded my judgment at decision time. It looks very promising that both of our carryon's will hold everything we would have put in our day pack and still maintain size and weight. Still a work in progress.

Posted by
614 posts

I was on two different Air France flights in the last 48 hours - an Airbus 320 and a 777-300. Individuals boarded the aircrafts with multiple bags - one with three and another with four. It did not appear that they were traveling with anyone else. My travel partner and I each had a single back pack. I did not encounter or observe staff questioning bags.

However different staff, location, aircraft and in your case carrier (HOP) may scrutinize and strictly enforce allowances. Adhering to the guidelines makes for stress free situations.

Posted by
68 posts

They did a gate check of our RS carryon ( no charge to us). Getting to our connecting flight was an another adventure, glad we had 4+ hour layovers on a self connecting flight! Happily getting over jet lag in Saint Jean de Luz!!
Thanks again for all your help.