Please sign in to post.

African safari

Hi - wondering if anyone out there has been on a African safari - thinking about this for November - need low cost, safe, and for only a day or two. Would appreciate any ideas or experience - this site has severed me well in the past. Thank-you. Jan

Posted by
1175 posts

If you mean a photo safari, they are usually for multiple days. We have done a hunting safari in South Africa, probably not something you had in mind. We did present at a health care symposium at a bush lodge, Kwa Maritane, an hour north of Jo'burg near Sun City. It's a bit pricey but well worth it for a couple days. They have a man-made water hole about 200 meters from the veranda where you can dine and watch the animals come to the water. Even better, there is a tunnel down to the water hole with two comfortable underground bunkers at ground level at the water. You will be within a few yards of the animals, including elephants. The photo ops are priceless. They also offer game drives in safe open-sided buses at sunup and at sundown and after dark. The animals are active at those times and we got photos of rhino, a cheetah, wild dogs on a kill, giraffes, kudu, lions, etc. Website is www.kwamaritane.co.za

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks I will check it out - yes a photo safari - how long ago were you there?

Posted by
1556 posts

You need to provide more context - are you already going to be in Africa? If so, which country or countries? If not, I think you will be out of luck when you combine 'low cost' with only 'a day or two'. Have you considered the airfare which will probably run between $1,200 - 1,600. If this is low cost, then there will be lots of options. Also, have you considered or have already taken care of the medications (yellow fever cert, malaria (for some countries)) which will set you back a couple of hundred $. How many total days are you planning on spending in Africa - outside of the safari? Have you already planned other stuff that we should know about before commenting? The more info you give us, the better we will be able to respond.

Posted by
5515 posts

need low cost, safe, and for only a day or two. I assume that you are trying to tack this on to another trip because a day or two is awfully short for a safari. Where will you be traveling from? I made my arrangements (to Cape Town followed by a stay at three different camps in Botswana) through Bert Duplessis at Fish Eagle Safaris. I was very pleased with the arrangements they made.

Posted by
10 posts

Sorry - more info - work for airlines and will be traveling Chicago - London then onto Africa. We are trying to decide best least expensive way to do safari. Have a week and a half blocked off beginning of November to go, but only want to do a few days to keep cost down - anymore ideas - thanks for info posted it has help already.

Posted by
1556 posts

Probably your best bet will be to try and get to J'burg and do a 2-3 day visit to Kruger. Do a google search and you will be able to come up with different operators. It probably won't be cheap since your time is limited and may involve a fly in. Alternatively, if you get to Vic Falls (Zim) or Livingstone (Zambia), you could easily do a day trip to Chobe NP in N Botswanan after seeing Victoria falls- we saw tons of elephants, kudus, crocs, hippos, zebras, sable antelope, etc. in a few hours. You may or may not see any of the wild cats - matter of luck.

Posted by
403 posts

Try calling the folks at Africa Adventure Company (based in Florida). They booked our safaris, and do a great job meeting your needs and budget limits. They are able to make arrangements in many different countries. If (when!) we go back, we will use them again. You might consider flying into Arusha (Kilimanjaro), Tanzania. The big airlines fly direct there from Europe (10 hrs from Paris), and it provides pretty good access to the Serengeti. Jo-burg is the other obvious option, with easy access to Kruger Nat'l Park.

Posted by
8141 posts

The giant in the African safari business shares ownership with VacationsToGo.com. Sign on their website and look for a link. But I warn you that Low Cost and African Safari are not usually used in the same sentence. My nephew went on a safari to hunt lions, and got a trophy.
My sister later went on photo safari where everyone flew their own single engine airplane--in a caravan. The accommodations were lavish.