Please sign in to post.

Aer Lingus carry-on size

Greetings,

We're approaching three weeks to our departure for Europe, and I decided to do a little practice packing today. We're flying Aer Lingus, whose website lists carry-on limits of 22 pounds, and 22x16x8 inches on size.

I thought I did pretty well with my practice pack, stuffing plenty of clothes and essentials -- even a second pair of shoes -- into my RS 20-inch rolling carry-on. I'm doing fine on weight, width and length of my bag. The rub comes on height. Even with nothing packed in the outside pockets, the bag still measures a good 9 1/2 to 10 inches high. I think it would squish down to about 8 inches if I had to get it in one of those measuring boxes.

My question, then, is how closely Aer Lingus adheres to its own standards. Has anyone here flown Aer Lingus with just carry-on luggage? Did gate agents inspect the size meticulously or just look to see if it's close?

We've been planning to make this trip with just carry-on. I realize it's not the end of the world if we have to check bags. The main goal is to pack light enough that we can easily handle schlepping around train stations, airports and streets with the luggage. But it would seem a little silly to check a bag that is easily within the standards but for an inch of squishable height. We'll also each be carrying a personal day-pack type bag, as well as my CPAP.

Cheers and thank you for any thoughts and guidance.

Posted by
14941 posts

You're driving down a highway near your house doing 20 miles over the speed limit. You get pulled over but the cop only gives you a warning.

When you get home, you find out your neighbor had the same thing happen. You now tell people that you sped on that highway and didn't get a ticket so they'll be okay to speed.

The next day, a friend of yours follows your advice and speeds. He gets a ticket.

I hope you understand the analogy. Just because one or two people may not have had their bag checked by Aer Lingus doesn't mean yours won't. You can try to bring it on but if worse comes to worse, you'll have to check it if the bag is too thick.

It's always up to the gate agent and you never know who that will be.

Posted by
786 posts

Totally understood, Frank. I realize I'm asking for anecdotal evidence. Just curious about other travelers' experiences.

Posted by
564 posts

I agree with Frank. I've had 2 lucky charms with Aer Lingus using RS 22" rolling suitcase. But I was prepared if any agent denied me. I had all my valuables and other things I'd want with me on the plane and for when I landed packed in my carryon tote and in my shoulder bag.

I place the shoulder bag inside my carryon tote so I can easily just drop off my bags at the hotel and be on my way. *Moneybelt is
worn and put on after TSA. I started this practice after some TSA wanted to actually see my moneybelt that was underneath my clothes. Some even opened it up. I find offense to showing the entire airport what I have on me for valuables. After the third time I decided to wait now until after security to put it on in the WC.

I fly from Boston. Aer Lingus is always very friendly and courteous. They zip us on, get us all happy with free food and drinks, and land us asap.

Luck of the Irish to you!

Posted by
795 posts

You can probably get by if, as you think, you could squish it down to 8 inches. We never travel with just carry-on luggage but have never had one of those bags questioned.

Posted by
19092 posts

8 inches x 16 inches is 128 sq in., cross sectional area. If the bag is really 16 inches wide when it is 9½ inches high, squeezing it down to 8 inches high will make it more than 16 inches wide. It won't fit.

Learn to pack lighter.

Posted by
20017 posts

I'm looking on the Aer Lingus site and it says 10 kg (22 lb), 55 cm (21.5" including protruding wheels but not handle) by 40 cm (15.5") by 24 cm (9.5").

Posted by
786 posts

Thanks, Sam. I must have gotten mixed up among the various measurements. I guess I saw the 8" max depth for personal items and transposed that into the carry-on specs. I shouldn't have any problem in that case. I was just confused because the bag itself with nothing in it is around 9 1/2 inches deep. Anyway, good catch and now I feel better.

Lee: I AM packing light.

Posted by
16893 posts

Rick's Rolling Carry-On has a shell on the sides that is not going to squish out when you compress the top. Compressing will probably just push out extra air and should be an expected thing to do. Of course, it is advertised as measuring 13½" x 20" x 9" and the shell also prevents it from getting much smaller.

As Sam said, unless you are flying on an Aer Lingus Regional flight, Operated by Stobart Air, then your baggage allowance is larger: http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/baggageinformation/cabinbaggage/.

Posted by
786 posts

Thanks, Laura. Yeah, I just got mixed up with the numbers. My RS bag should be fine.

Three weeks from today, we head for London, then on to the June 7 Best of Paris tour!

Posted by
2916 posts

We've flown Aer Lingus to Europe twice in the last 2 years, and never saw anyone's carry-on closely examined, nor was ours. I think as long as it looks close, they don't check. But, of course, they always can.