Please sign in to post.

London to Bayeux, France

My husband and I will be traveling from London to Bayeux, France for our Normandy tour in June 2013. I was just curious what was the best and fastest way to get from place to place. And do we have to go to Paris first? Thanks!

Posted by
5799 posts

This is how I made this trip. I took the Eurostar to Paris Gare du Nord. On arrival, I walked to the Magenta station (connected to Gare du Nord) and took the RER one stop to Gare St Lazare. From there, I took a train to Bayeux. The whole thing took 6 to 7 hours.

Posted by
2 posts

Do you think we need to get our tickets ahead of time? What train line is it from Paris to Bayeux?

Posted by
14806 posts

Hi, You can get the ticket Paris-Bayeux either at Gare du Nord or at Gare St Lazare. The train to Bayeux ends up at Cherbourg as its terminus. It's a ter train where no reservations are taken. The quickest way is as Laura described above. You can also take the bus at Gare du Nord to St Lazare.

Posted by
8293 posts

Lindsey, yes, as noted above you do have to go to Paris first but it is a quick trip on the Eurostar under the English Channel. You should buy your Eurostar tickets on line at eurostar.com about 90 days or more before your journey for the deepest discounts. Enter your country of residence as the UK or Canada so you won't be bounced over to RailEurope and be obliged to pay more for the same ticket with fewer schedule options offered to you.

Posted by
8700 posts

London-Paris: Book ASAP (up to 120 days allowed) at eurostar.com to get the lowest discount fare (£39). If you wait until the last minute, you could pay as much as £179. And in June the train you wish to take could be sold out. You won't be bumped to Rail Europe when you book on the Eurostar site. Norma's instructions for avoiding Rail Europe apply to booking Paris-Bayeux. Paris-Bayeux: You will be on an Intercites train at least as far as Caen. Some Intercites trains go directly from Gare Saint-Lazare to Bayeux on their way to Cherbourg, but others skip Bayeux. Depending upon your departure time, you may need to connect to a regional (TER) train in Caen. Following Norma's instructions and booking well in advance (up to three months allowed) at tgv-europe.com, you can get a discount fare as low as €15.00 for a direct Intercites train or €21.40 if you have to connect in Caen. The standard 2nd class fare is €38.20. Even though you may be able to print your own tickets, choose France as your ticket retrieval country. For both of your routes discount fare tickets are for a specific departure date and time. They are non-refundable and non-exchangeable. If you miss a train, you will be out the price of the ticket.