Please sign in to post.

GPS in Italy

Hello, Fellow Travelers! I will be renting a car for a week while in the Tuscan region of Italy. Is it good value to add a GPS system to the rental, or should I update my daughter's GPS and bring it along with me? If I update the GPS, how do I do it? On line? Thanks for your help!
Francesca

Posted by
23572 posts

I would bring the GPS because it can be handy even when walking. Unfortunately the low end GPS generally are not upgradeable so you need to check. If it is you can buy a memory with Italian maps and insert it IF you unit takes or uses SD memory cards. Some units can be upgraded by downloading the maps. It just depends on your unit. Go to your unit's brands web site for download/upgrade information.

Posted by
3696 posts

I agree to bring your own. I have a Garmin nuvi and have Europe, UK, and Eastern Europe maps on it, and it has been very helpful. I have driven all over without GPS, but this has definitely made things easier (just be sure to follow your maps also, as it can lead you off in weird directions sometimes)

Posted by
32328 posts

Francesca, I'd also suggest bringing your daughter's GPS, as you can spend some time familiarizing yourself with the operation of it prior to the trip. However, the big question is whether it has European maps or whether it can be upgraded. What type of GPS is it, and how old is it? I'd also suggest packing along a good Map, perhaps Michelin, as GPS units are not infallible. I've been travelling with a Garmin Nüvi for severral years, and for the most part it works well but it does go into "brain lock" at times and provides incorrect directions. I also use it for walking around cities at times. If you pack along a GPS, BE SURE to check the Charger to ensure it's designed for operation on 220 VAC electrical systems (look for the words "Input Voltage" listed somewhere on the Charger). You will of course need a Plug Adapter. I'd also suggest packing along a Car Charger and Windshield mount bracket. Happy travels!

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you to everyone for their great tips and advice. I really appreciate the time you take to reply. Francesca

Posted by
23572 posts

A quick follow up to my earlier posting as I just remember what we did in Germany two years ago. We bought a SD card with Germany maps on ebay and then resold it after we return. The whole net cost was about five buck and some postage.

Posted by
67 posts

One other point, the rental car GPS voice guidance will almost certainly be in Italian!

Posted by
1175 posts

We have a Garmin Nuvi with European maps that we used to drive around France. We had reserved different hotels and B&B's and were able to save their addresses into "Favorites" prior to the trip. To save our rural B&B's, with no real addresses, we used Google Earth to find the house or driveway from their precise directions, then recorded the latitude and longitude on the GPS. We drove right to our destinations including museums in cities and towns. We also pressed the auto icon on the screen leaving the back alley to the rental car return in Caen. That saved that exact location, labeled it, and we drove right to it at rush hour in a driving rainstorm upon our return. I wouldn't drive in Europe without one... and a Michelin road map as well.

Posted by
11613 posts

Francesca, before your trip you can use google maps for driving directions, just to get an idea of you route and distances. I've used it while traveling (maps app on smartphone) and it worked just fine. As for language issues, just learn a few woes (north, south, left, right) and you should be fine - street and highway numbers are, well, numbers (in Arabic).

Posted by
813 posts

By all means get a European map card for your daughter's GPS and take it. You do not want to be on the road in Italy learning how the unit in the rental car works. Spend the few extra bucks to get a new map card that will be up to date. The other neat trick you can do with your own GPS is store the position of your car when you park it and and put the unit in your pocket. Then no matter how lost you get in a town, you can always find your car. Also back up the GPS with good paper maps since the screen on the unit shows a limited area and it can be hard to figure out where you are in the grans scheme of things. We have used a Garmin Nuvi and had excellent results. One reason GPS is handy is that our experience in Italy in particular has been that when you get off the major roads they treat the highway numbers like state secrets. The route numbers may be on the but is another story finding them on the roads. Last item, don't forget to get an International Driving Permit ... they are required in Italy. 99.9% of us have never needed to show our IDP but if you get caught without one, things get very ugly very fast. The 250 Euro on the spot fine is only the beginning.

Posted by
12313 posts

Shop first. A new GPS, with both US and European maps preinstalled, may be a better overall deal than buying a European card. Renting a GPS can be nearly as expensive as buying too. It's important to give yourself a chance to learn how to use the device before you climb into a car in Italy. Of all countries in Europe I've driven, Italy is the one that sticks out as "must bring a GPS". Even with a great map, the signage is generally lacking. A GPS will know where you are even if you can't find a street sign to locate yourself on a map.