Please sign in to post.

Train from Florence to Venice

Would I be paying way too much buying a point to point ticket? Is there a big difference in price of the AV train (2hr)no change and the slower (3-4) with change. I planned on taking the AV now I understand I need to purchase ahead...I've never used the train site and don't feel comfortable with it. Maybe I better learn.

Posted by
6898 posts

You don't need to purchase any of these tickets ahead of time. Dozens of trains each day from Florence to Venice. However, if you buy there, you will be paying the full fare of 45Euro. If you buy online in advance, you could pay as low as 9Euro for your ticket but most likely those nice fares are rare for this run and are gone early. Most likely, you would pay 19E or 29E for the discounted tickets. The discounted tickets are also non-refundable and in some cases non-exchangable. If you want these discounts, you will have to learn to use the www.trenitalia.com website. As for the slower Regionale train runs, you can do that as well. Fares are generally 1/2 the cost of the fast trains but take twice as long. Same tracks except that the Regionales make every stop along the way and the fast trains whiz on through on other tracks. Since Regionale trains make shorter runs, you won't see them on Trenitalia from Florence to Venice. However, you can see the Regionale train runs from Florence to Bologna (with 1 train change) and from Bologna to Venice (some non-stops). The whole journey would take just under 4.0hrs. Fare on the Regionales would be about 19.25Euro. No discounted tickets on the Regionales. You can just walk up to the ticket machine or window, buy these tickets, validae them before boarding and get on. No restrictions. But, you can still go online and for 19E, get the discounted tickets for the high-speeds and get there 2 hours faster. Note that the required seat reservation comes with the purchase of the ticket. The system makes the seat choice for you (unless you know which seats you want)

Posted by
340 posts

Thanks Larry for all the helpful info

Posted by
6898 posts

Jo, I'm correcting my post above. I just looked 120 days out on Trenitalia for this run and I see 19 runs for the day. The lowest "Super Economy" fare is 19E.

Posted by
340 posts

Wow thanks again! I have some time my date for travel to Venice is May 25