Please sign in to post.

train/bus Vienna to Venice

We will arrive in Berlin 13 April and plan to leave Vienna 28 April (Sunday). Is booking in Berlin enough time for the Vienna/Venice trip or shd we do this from the US?

Posted by
4637 posts

There are many options. But only overnight train is direct. Otherwise you have to change one to two times. You can check arrivals, departures, etc. on Deutsche Bahn website. I think you got enough time for booking in Berlin for overnight train. For day time train you can book even in Vienna.

Posted by
8159 posts

Vienna to Venice is difficult because of the Austrian Alps. A bus ride is required in between two train legs. It's just not an easy trip. It's best to fly from Vienna to Venice on Austrian Airways.

Posted by
8700 posts

Daytime route: If you book well in advance (up to 90 days allowed) on the Austrian Rail site, you can get a discount fare of €29.00 for Wien Meidling-Villach-Venezia Mestre. The first leg will be on a train and the second leg will be on a well-appointed bus. Buy a ticket at Venezia Mestre for the 13-minute ride from Venezia Mestre to Venezia Santa Lucia. Direct night train (Wien Westbahnhof-Venezia Santa Lucia): Popular night trains can sell out weeks in advance. Don't wait until you get to Berlin to book tickets. If you book ASAP (see above) on the Austrian Rail site, you can get discount fares for either bunks in couchettes or beds in sleepers.

Posted by
32821 posts

I don't understand why the received wisdom on this site is that the Oebb Intercitybus which runs from Venice to Villach is found at Mestre, with the concomitant problems of changing from train to bus at Mestre. Every time I have checked it originates and terminates at Venezia Tronchetto which is very easily reached by vaporetto or on foot from the main part of Venice. I don't understand the problem that this causes for people. Surely getting to Tronchetto is easier for most than getting off the train at Mestre and dealing with the tunnel and stairs??? It seems like such a non-issue to me.

Posted by
143 posts

Thks, all , for your comments. Seat 61 recommends going to Salzburg and changing trains. We want to travel during the day for the spectacular scenery; is this overrated? We live in northern Idaho and have skiied in the Canadian Rockies, so mountains are not a novelty for us.

Posted by
143 posts

much time online checking prices and connection times, but we have decided (and booked) the train via Salzburg; a long day but it will be some down time after 5 busy days while in Vienna THANKS for the tips!

Posted by
143 posts

much time online checking prices and connection times, but we have decided (and booked) the train via Salzburg; a long day but it will be some down time after 5 busy days while in Vienna THANKS for the tips!