Please sign in to post.

To the Boot travel in italy

happy New Year to all, My family of 8 will be in Lucca mid-June for one week. Then in Greve for one week. I know we need a car in Greve but I thought we could get around by busses and trains in Lucca. We want to visit Viareggio, Pisa,.Florence, C.T. How long does it take to travel to Florence ,and C.T. from Lucca by public transportation? Also , we have ac in Lucca but not in the Greve villa. Is that a problem? Thanks ,
Susan L

Posted by
1219 posts

Hi Susan. For train times from Lucca, see trenitalia.com. Use Italian city names and a date in the next 7 days to see sample schedules. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
11613 posts

I loved Lucca, I was there in mid-June and did not need a/c (good thing because my hotel room only had a fan). Whether or not you'll want a car in Lucca depends on where you want to go (in addition to the places you've listed). Train from Lucca to Viareggio is about 20 minutes, Lucca to Florence is 1hr. 20min. to 1hr. 40min. with no changes, Lucca to Pisa is about 30 minutes. Time to Cinque Terre depends on which town you want to go to. If you use the Trenitalia website for informaion, you'll need to enter the town names in Italian (Firenze for Florence, preferable Santa Maria Novella station).

Posted by
1589 posts

Roughly 2 hours to Florence & 1 hour to Vernazza, the central town in the CT.

Posted by
506 posts

2011 we were in Rome and Lucca mid June and it was unbelievable hot and humid. So it may be a toss up if you need AC or not. I would go for the AC since the weather these days is very unpredictable in the world.