Please sign in to post.

Driving in Sicily

I am visiting Siracusa for a day visit. I would like to drive to Ortygia Island and explore on foot. Where do I park ?

Posted by
842 posts

We just drove downtown and found a parking spot anywhere we could, then hoofed it across the bridge to the island.

PS Make sure it is a legal parking spot. Many of the Siracusans have a habit of parking anywhere they want, and they watch for the parking police. When they see one they skeedaddle!

Be aware that if you try to drive during rush hour it can be a mess.

Make sure that your car has a GPS, or do like we have just done, and buy your own before you get there.

Make sure that you save time to see the Museao Archeologico Paolo Orsi. It is awesome!

Don't go to Sicily w/o taking a Lonely Planet guidebook.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you. Can you drive across the bridge and park somewhere on the other side ? Are there parking spaces or a parking lot on the other side ? Are there signs to Ortygia Island ?

Posted by
800 posts

Alan-we drove to Siracusa this summer for the sole purpose of visiting the old section on Ortygia Island. It was pretty straightforward driving in and we found a pay parking lot right on our way into the old section. We made a wrong turn getting out and had to circle around twice but in general found it pretty easy and well worth the small amount of confusion!