Please sign in to post.

UK travel

I'm planning a mid-May trip on the Best of England tour. I will fly from Seattle, WA to Heathrow airport and wish to know the bus or train routes to Bath, staying overnight 18 May, ahead of the tour. What web sites are designated for booking either means, and which is most feasible? The Seattle flight so far arrives at Heathrow terminal 5 about noon UK time.

Posted by
888 posts

Check the British Rail website for train information (you might need to go into London from Heathrow) or National Express for bus (coach) information. My preference is for bus as you don't have to lug luggage up and down stairs at stations, but the bus station is on the opposite side of the airport and you will need to get an airport bus. Bath is a lovely city - enjoy!

Posted by
5326 posts

From terminal 5, take the Railair coach to Reading (www.railair.com) and train from there. Typical journey time 2hrs 15mins. For multi-modal public transport routes search on http://www.transportdirect.info There are a multitude of rail booking sites; the one for the operator you will; be travelling on is www.fgw.co.uk, but they don't tend to have any special offers for their own routes. Many ticket collecting machines require a chip+pin credit card to verify identity. As you are travelling off-peak, and there is a chance you may be late (flight or delay in immigration), you may prefer a walk-up fare anyway, rather than an advance tied to a specific train, even though it will be more expensive. (You haven't indicated what you are doing beyond Bath to return.) For coach service purchase through www.nationalexpress.com, but you would need to travel to Heathrow Central to catch it.