Please sign in to post.

europcar

Anybody use Europcar in France? We want to go from CDG to Sarlat with a stop in Chartres, and then return by train from Sarlat. Euoropcar has an office there, as does Hertz, but Hertz's fees are $100 more.
Thanks

Posted by
9110 posts

Nothing wrong with Eurpopcar at all. I use them if France if they have the best deal. Had a drunk total one out on me in Melbourne earlier in the year. Wrecker and new car showed up in about fifteen minutes and that was that.

Posted by
8700 posts

The car I rented several years ago through Auto Europe was provided by Europcar. No complaints.

Posted by
2916 posts

I've used AutoEurope and Kemwel as brokers in France for 25 years, and at least half the time the agency has been Europcar. Never a problem.

Posted by
10223 posts

We book through the US broker AutorEurope but always position the pick up so it is a Europcar agency due to the good service we've gotten over the years. Our worst European rental was the overseas affiliate of National.

Posted by
10223 posts

Ditto with Barry regarding AutoEurope. Although we do speak the languages, we've always been able to get better rates through AutoEurope USA. Also, we've had a few contested charges over the years which AutoEurope has made disappear for us. Presto one call to Maine and it's taken care of. I think it's better than going back and forth from the States over a few gallons of gas with a business based in Europe. See the thread full of complaints about the charges put on credit cards by Italian Hertz. When people call Hertz USA, they're told it's a different company.

Posted by
1064 posts

Why does everyone go through AutoEurope to rent from EuropCar? Or any other company they deal with fairly often. If you want to go with EuropCar, check their website pick the car you want at the location and price you want. I keep hearing that there is a cost advantage with AutoEurope, but I have not found that to be the case. There is sometimes a few dollars difference, sometimes not, but there is also more risk. Renting a car is not rocket science. I am amazed that people who would not think of using a travel agent or other third party to book an airline or hotels will turn around and do that for car rentals. Going to a third party for a simple rental is not necessary and only increases the chance for miscommunication and buck-passing if something does go wrong. Edit: This sounds harsher than I intended. Everyone should go with whatever suits them personally.

Posted by
8 posts

I've gotten better rates from Europcar by renting thru AutoEurope than by going to Europcar's own website. This includes trying to rent on Europcar's USA website, their UK website, and by calling the 800 number. I think I even tried calling the UK call center. I have tried using the France and Italy Europcar websites, but the language barrier was too great - you need to read the fine print concerning insurance, extra fees, etc. With AutoEurope, ask for a discount - try that you're a Rick Steves or AAA customer - it's worth a shot. Come to think of it, I got better rates from Hertz as well in Italy, by going thru AutoEurope. I usually go to the rental company's website to determine the office locations before finalizing the rental with AutoEurope. With Google Maps, you can see if the office is walking distance from your hotel or train station, etc.

Posted by
2916 posts

I agree with Barry and Bets, and not just because AutoEurope/Kemwel is located down the street from me. On the few occasions when there has been a problem afterwards, AutoEurope/Kemwel has been the intermediary to smooth things over.

Posted by
3941 posts

We also just rented thru AutoEurope and it was for Europcar - and I'm sure when I checked the rates, they were better thru AutoEurope then from Europcars site- plus it seems to give you options for many different car rental places (Hertz/Avis/etc)- I went with the one that had an automatic avail for rent on a Sun and the closest to the fringes of PAris so we wouldn't have to drive thru the city. Was happy with the rate we got.