Please sign in to post.

Madrid - Airport Express Bus

I find a number of references of an Airport Express Bus from Barajas International Airport to Atocha Train Station, but nothing in Rick's Guidebookds which mentions it. Does anyone know if it really exists and have used it? I like the three stop itinerary and 5 euros cost.

Posted by
17251 posts

Yes, it exists. We used it in May 2011. Maybe you are using an older version of the guidebook, or maybe Rick hasn't yet updated to include this efficient and cost - effective service.

Posted by
951 posts

In Rick's 2012 book, he states that the last stop is Plaza Cibeles (spelled wrong, I think) and that you could walk to take taxi to Atoche. Current online research has shown me that it does go to Atoche Renfe but maybe only during daytime hours. If you look at my post on the transportation forum, you will see many people point this out and other options not mentioned in the RS book. I think it is titled, Madrid Airport to Atoche, see the PRado and off to Sevilla.

Posted by
1178 posts

Yes! It does exist and I have used it :-) Good service, 5 euro charge as of May 1, 2012, three stops from the airport to the Atocha Station. The stop at Atocha is at the front door, under the portico, in the small building directly across from the main entrance. You can ask at the information desk at the airport for the location, it varries from terminal to terminal. The stop at Cibeles is on different sides of the street/fountain going in and returning. There are ample seats and luggage storage inside the bus as well. The journey is about 30 minutes or so/