Please sign in to post.

Bayeux

Hi Rick, I am planning on taking the train from Paris to Bayeux to visit the D Day beaches and Memorial. My question is, will it be a problem to find a taxi to take me to the Memorial? Thank you,
Kathleen

Posted by
32212 posts

kathleen, As the other have mentioned, there isn't a single "Memorial" so it would help to have a bit of further information on which one you're referring to. Also keep in mind that the D-Day invasion beaches covered a "front" of about 50-miles, so not really practical to see in a Taxi. Visiting Normandy as a day trip from Paris is not really practical, due to the distance and travel times involved. You could take a day trip by Coach from Paris, but they're expensive and it's a LONG day! If you're interested, have a look at Paris City Vision Tours (there may be others, but this is one that I know of). The best way to see the D-Day sites is to stay at least one night in Bayeux and take one of the excellent local day tours. These range from half-day tours to full-day (about 9 hours). If you need names of tour companies, post another note. To answer your original question, YES, it could be a problem to find a Taxi in Bayeux at certain times. On the morning I departed Bayeux on my last trip, I was sure to ask the Hotel to pre-arrange a Taxi. Renting a car would not be the best solution (IMO) as the sites are quite spread out and unless you know your way around, it will take you awhile to get around the area. I've become "lost" when driving in that area, even with a Map and had to ask tourists from the U.K. for directions (fortunately they had the right answers). Using one of the local tours is a MUCH more efficient and quicker method! Happy travels!

Posted by
4140 posts

Kathleen , What do you mean by "the memorial " ? I'm assuming you mean the American cemetery at Colleville sur mer . There are , however many memorials in the area that can be defined that way , i.e. The Caen memorial museum , The singular monument on Omaha beach at Vierville , the memorial to british military in the british cemetery in Bayeux to name just a few . I'm sure you can obtain taxi service but that would undoubtably be rather expensive . A better solution , after you have determined which sites you want to see ( and there are dozens if not hundreds in the area ) would be to take one of the tours that leave from Bayeux , or better yet , in my opinion , rent a car and see these places in a more relaxed fashion . Driving in this area could not be easier and allows you to set your own pace. Also make time to see Bayeux itself , it's wonderful !

Posted by
8700 posts

Steven has given you good information. Do you plan to make this a day trip from Paris? If so, it's possible to take Bus Verts du Calvados line 70 from Bayeux to the American Cemetery. If you want more information, just ask. However, I'll encourage you to stay in Bayeux overnight so you can have a full day to see the beaches.