Please sign in to post.

Train to Cinque Terre

We ae staying in Siena for 5 days and would like to visit Cinque Terre. We will have a car to drive to a train to take us to Cinque Terre. What would be the best place to drive to and leave the car to go to Cinque Terre ( we would keep the hotel room in Siena to leave our stuff but would also book one night at a hotel in the Cinque Terre (would love any tips on that also) Thanks!!! Ellen

Posted by
6898 posts

You can leave the car in Siena. It's a 3hr30min train journey with 2-3 train changes depending on the run you choose. Fare is about 14Euro one-way. You won't save much time by driving closer and then parking your car in an uncertain location.

Posted by
48 posts

Thank you Larry...I am having a hard time figuring out the trains! I guess we can just go to the train station and say "Cinque Terre" :)

Posted by
11294 posts

"I guess we can just go to the train station and say "Cinque Terre" :)" That's like going to Penn Station in New York and saying you need a ticket to "New Jersey" instead of "Paramus." Cinque Terre means five lands, and that's what they are - five different towns, in a row along the coast. You will need to tell the ticket seller the name of the town you want. Rick's book has LOTS of details about each town, so you can decide where you want to stay, and what you want to see from there.

Posted by
48 posts

I was kind of just joking Harold..I did read about the 5 different towns to go into. Do you have any Cinque Terra advice..would love to hear it!!
Ellen

Posted by
32212 posts

Ellen, Your best bet is to leave the car in La Spezia. There's a new car park close to the station. I'd have to do a bit of research to find the address, but it shouldn't be hard to find. Have you given any thought to which of the five towns you might want to stay in? It's only a very short trip from La Spezia to any of them. For example, the trip to Riomaggiore is only about nine minutes. If you have a copy of the Italy 2012 Guidebook, there are lots of listings for reliable Hotels. When will this trip be taking place? I'd suggest pre-booking accommodations in the Cinque Terre well in advance! Regarding your rental car, note that EACH driver will require the compulsory International Driver's Permit, and you'll need to be extremely careful to avoid Zona Traffico Limitato areas in each town you access (large fines and collection agencies now becoming involved to deal with "scofflaws"!). If you need more information on the above points, post another note. Happy travels!

Posted by
48 posts

Thank you ! What is the ride like from Siena to La Spezia? Is it mountainous? I have a bit of a fear of driving on mountain roads which is why I thought the train would be better. would love any input you have. I have bought the Rick Steves Italy book as well as Tuscany. Thanks! Ellen

Posted by
32212 posts

Ellen, I've only travelled by train on that particular route, so can't offer any comments on the drive from Siena to La Spezia. As I vaguely recall, the terran is fairly flat with low hills, so not too "mountainous" at all.

Posted by
6898 posts

Wow. There is a new parking garage at the La Spezia Centrale train station. 116 spaces. 13E for 8 hours. No information on long-term parking. As for buying the train tickets, I have found that English is not even the 2nd language for many of the agents (its German or French). The big hint here is that all of the trains will be Regionales with the possible exception that at certain times of the day, yhou may be on a high-speed from Pisa to La Spezia Centrale. But, the point here is that all tickets on the Regionale train are "open" tickets. They are good for 60 days on any Regionale train making the run listed on the ticket. That's why you have to validate before boarding. It activates the ticket. You can just walk up to the ticket window and say (for example) "Vernazza" or "Monterosso". The agent will understand and all intermediate train changes along with the tickets will be provided. He will then ask for the fare in Italian. If you need, he will also write it down and show it to you.

Posted by
1 posts

It would be great if someone had the exact address of the Car Park in La Spezia. I'm told it has long term parking on the ground floor and it is about 16e. Anyone?

Posted by
6898 posts

It's next to the train station. I don't have an address but here's a LINK to what looks like a picture of the entrance.