Please sign in to post.

Picking up train tickets

I'm not sure what the difference is. I have been able to print off a couple of my TGV tickets for France. But other tickets I have to print in the station (requires pin and chip which I don't have) Mail (they wont' because i'm in the states) or pick up at the station ( I presume at a ticket booth), but it states I have to have a pin. I do not use a pin with my credit card. I have a pin with my debit/credit card, is that what they are asking for?
What is the reason that you can print of some tickets and not others? Can any of these tickets be picked up at a SNCF " boutique" in Paris?

Posted by
6898 posts

I have always been able to print out my SNCF tickets at home. But, you can pick up your tickets at any staffed train station in France. You used to be able to use the ticket machines along with the credit card you used to make the purchase but no more for us travelers without chip and pin cards. You go up to the agent and get your tickets. My best understanding is that the CC is only for identification. They don't use it for anything else. I would suggest using the same credit card as you used to make the purchase. Perhaps you don't have to do that at the window, but I would bring it just in case.

Posted by
8700 posts

If your route requires one or more legs on regional trains, then you cannot print your tickets. Those tickets must be validated (time stamped) in a box at the station. You should be able to pick up your tickets at any SNCF boutique as well as at a station. Just show your confirmation note and the card you used to book the tickets.

Posted by
7667 posts

Hi Liz, I used my American Express credit card to purchase train tickets on-line. For the tickets that don't give the option to print at home, bring the exact credit card you used (the AmEx pin# is just the 4-digit number on the card). By the way, American Express is not accepted in France for purchases - this is just for identification linking to the ticket reservations. Jean

Posted by
10550 posts

I'm not sure why Jean has said Amex isn't accepted in France for purchases. Perhaps this person meant not accepted by SNCF. I have used my Amex all over France for many different kinds of purchases.