Please sign in to post.

90/180 shengen rule

there is much discussion on line about how the limit of 90 days out of the most recent 180 day period works/is interpreted. (since many opinions are seriously at odds with other opinions, some must simply be wrong.) my question is whether days spent within shengen countries on a valid long stay visa count the same as if you were there without any visa?

Posted by
4535 posts

Your question points out that any answers you get here will be opinions, not facts. Are you saying you will be on a long-term visa and then wish to stay longer after that expires? If so, you really should check with the consulate that is issuing your visa. Our State Department might also have the answer. Or are you asking if you have a long-term visa in one country, are you limited to 90 days traveling in other Schengen countries? If so, the answer might be different, though I still recommend consulting the State Department.

Posted by
3 posts

my question is - - i want to go back to france without a visa for a short visit. but i just returned from france in september having been there on a long stay visa for five months. if that time counts towards my 90 day limit i could not return without waiting 90 days from the date of my departure from france. but does the time in france with a visa count the same a time spent there without a visa?

Posted by
284 posts

My interpretation, although this is opinion, would be that if you enter after your long stay visa expires, there should be no issues. The visa has a fixed duration and no 180 day window associated with it (from what I can tell). The 180 day window starts when you get the stamp on arrival, which means there shouldn't be any days in your stay under the prior visa and the current visa. Again, just so I don't get any nasty PMs from some people, this is from what I can tell and the only real answer you are going to get is from the French consulate itself.

Posted by
2347 posts

Yes, we only give opinions here and our experiences. I would do as previous poster said, contact consulate. It would be awful to get to airport and maybe be denied entry.

Posted by
4535 posts

My understanding of the rules is as Nicholas describes, that you can re-enter with a fresh 90 days on the Schengen visa now that your long-term visa expired. But as Gail reiterated, double check with someone official because it would be a HUGE bummer if you showed up and they deny you entry.

Posted by
3 posts

douglas and nicholas are correct. i just confirmed with the french consulate in LA (i could never get through to the office in SF) that the time i was in france with a long stay/no work visa does not count for the 90/180 schengen no visa visits. thanks to everyone for your help