Please sign in to post.

Heathrow to Bury St Edmond

Any recommendations on how to accomplish this with some efficiency? Train, bus, shuttle? I also posted this on the "To the North" section which apparently I shouldn't have done. So never mind:)

Posted by
317 posts

Marie - Train is certainly doable. Take the Tube into Kings Cross. The Piccadilly Line will take you right to the station. From Kings Cross, take the train to Cambridge, where you'll change trains for Bury St. Edmunds. The trip from Kings Cross to BSE can be from 1 hr 37 minutes to 1 hr 54 minutes, per the National Rail website. (http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/) I'm also sure there is a way to do it by coach (bus), but I will need to defer to others to give you that information. Nigel, if he sees this, can give you more specifics on the train connections.

Posted by
8700 posts

You can take National Express coaches from Heathrow to Bury St Edmunds; but your departure times are limited, you will have to make one connection in either London or Cambridge, and your total travel time will be over four hours. See www.nationalexpress.com. Your train route choices are London King's Cross-Cambridge-Bury St Edmunds or London Liverpool Street-Ipswich-Bury St Edmunds.

Posted by
83 posts

Bury St Edmunds (Bury) is one of my favorite towns I visited while touring East Anglia in 2004 and hope to return. Why can you not go from Kings Cross to Ely and then on to Bury? Just wandering as I love Ely as well and thought this route would be doable to visit them both. Enjoy your visit Marie it is a lovely part of the world.

Posted by
5678 posts

It will be very easy to do this. Take the Piccadilly Line to Kings Cross. There you can buy your ticket to Bury St. Edmunds. You may have to change trains in Cambridge, but it's a small station and easy to get around. The barrier guards are really helpful. I was there this weekend and debated between Ely and Bury St. Edmunds and went to Ely. Cambridge was good too. There are lots of trains from London to Cambridge. Pam

Posted by
33452 posts

Prior answers have it down. If you think Cambridge is small wait until you see Bury St Edmunds. Do note the "s" at the end of the name. And the pair of "u"s in the middle.