Please sign in to post.

Munich to Prague

My girlfried and I are flying into Munich in early March '08 with the hopes staying in Prague for the majority of our eight day stay. The flight into Munich was extremely inexpensive, which is why we are not going directly to Prague. I was hoping to take a night train into Prague and sleep on the train. Is it possible to book the train in Munich or will it be hard to get tickets? Are trains very expensive for this type of excursion? Any advice would be appreciated.
-Bill

Posted by
12040 posts

Unless you leave late in the evening, the distance between Munich and Prague isn't large enough to necessitate a night train. And as of April of 2006, there wasn't even a direct rail ling due to construction... although, I believe this is no longer the case.

Posted by
55 posts

Hi Bill,

As far as I am aware there is no direct sleeper between Munich and Prague. There are two direct trains a day, at 6.44 and 16.44, I think. These take about 6h and this is probably the best way to get between the two. If you were to take the 0644, you'd still have the afternoon and evening in Prague.

Try www.db.de for train times. You can also book through www.raileurope.co.uk, who may be able to post tickets to the US. It is also possible buy tickets on the day, as the trains in March shouldn't be too busy, but you will of course pay the full rate. Buying 3 or 7 days in advance usually gets you some discount.

If you can stomach it, eurolines operate an overnight coach service, taking about 6 hours too. This will be about 40€ (senior and student discounts). With eurolines you can print your tickets out at home, which might save you some hassle. Their German site is good at: www.touring.de

Hope this helps,

Mark

Posted by
19092 posts

There are direct trains from Munich to Prague at 8:44 and 16:44, and another train at 12:44 requiring a change at Schwandorf. They take 6 hours. You can book round trip on these trains from DB for €62 per person on a Praq-Spezial fare; I don't think there is any advance purchase requirements. See www.bahn.de/regional/view/bayern/bahnregional/freizeit/prag_spezial.shtml. It is in German. Click the pdf symbol at the page bottom for the broshure. It shows the train schedules including the return trip.

You can also split a Bayern-Ticket (€27) to the border at Furth im Wald and use an Anschluss-Ticket (€21,60 pP) from there.

Posted by
19092 posts

For the trip back from Prague, the Czech Rail ticket to the border is about €8 per person. You can then use a Bayern-Ticket for the rest of the way. You need to buy it in advance in Germany before you leave.

Posted by
1568 posts

Definitely buy the Bayern round trip tickets in Munich. And also buy the tickets from Furth Im Wald to Prague at the same time in Munich.

Personally I would not arrive in Prague after dark. Train stations are swarmed with pickpocets during the day but much worse at night. They are the best!

There is a direct train to Prague..departing Munich at 8:44 AM and arriving in Prague at 14:45 PM which cost 84,80 Euro for 1st class or 54.10 for 2nd class. There are many trains running each day.
Use this site to view timetable:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Posted by
290 posts

Just a heads up if you decide to fly between Munich and Prague, many times flights are cancelled due to fog or other bad weather in Munich. I fly to Prague at least once a year, usually between Oct - Apr, and have been burnt too many times on the Munich flight connections for me to even plan that route anymore. Last time was November 2 yrs ago when Munich was fogged in & all Prague flights were cancelled. Thankfully Lufthansa took good care of me. But the USA and smaller European airlines will not do much if anything at all for you if this same thing happens. You almost have to wonder if many folks don't connect through there anymore because of weather delays/cancellations and maybe Munich lowered the prices to lure folks into booking flights there? Hummm....