Please sign in to post.

Driver's License

Is it necessary to have an international driver's license for driving around Europe?

Posted by
8700 posts

An International Driver Permit (it's not a license) is required in Italy and some other countries. It is a translation of the essential information on your driver license into eight languages. If you are stopped by the police in any non-English speaking country, you'll be glad you have one, whether it's required in that country or not. Buy it at your local AAA office.

Posted by
984 posts

Europe is not one country but up to forthynine depending on your viewpoint. Your government believes that an International Drivers Permit is required wherever in the world. For those small dollars why would you risk being without, whether thinking they lean toward being easy going or not?

Posted by
82 posts

I would take an international driving permit to any non-English speaking country. For $15 at AAA you can get this permit that you can just hand over when asked, and not have any hassle. It is worth it to me to know that I have all of the documentation I need where ever I go.

Posted by
32219 posts

Bob, The "short answer" is that it depends on which country you're driving in. An IDP is compulsory in Italy, Greece and a few other countries. As Tim mentioned, this is not a "license", but rather a supplement to your home D.L., which explains the terms and restrictions on your license. Not all rental firms are concerned about this and may not ask for an IDP, however I've been asked when renting in Greece. Some travellers choose to ignore the requirements, but if you're ever involved in an "incident", you'll be glad that you have one! In Italy, failure to produce an IDP if requested may result in fines on the spot! You may find it helpful to read the excellent Ron In Rome website, as the topic is covered there. One other point to note is that some countries (Switzerland, Austria) require a Highway Tax Vignette. These are usually easily obtained at the borders, but those without the appropriate Vignette may face hefty fines. I find it much easier and less complicated to use trains most of the time. Happy travels!

Posted by
332 posts

Some rental car contracts require an IDP even if the country does not. You do not want problems when dealing with the foreign speaking devil at the rental agency.

Posted by
49 posts

Thanks for the info. Sounds like getting the permit is a sensible precaution to take to avoid potential hassles.

Posted by
864 posts

I take my driver's license so I can leave it (not my passport) as security for audio guides etc. One of us always seems to have a current IDL but even an old one would probably work as long as you also show your current driver's license. But why sweat it - $15 at AAA. Who needs the worry. This is your big vacation - travel as hassle free as possible.