Please sign in to post.

Traveling to Istanbul

First time to travel overseas with layovers in 2 cities before final destination. Where do you go through customs, first airport you land in Europe or final destination? Is 1 hr. 35 mins. enough time to switch flights in Paris? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I am scared to hit the final commitment button for the flights. Thank you! Jennie

Posted by
2788 posts

When you finally land in Istanbul, you will have to get a visa from the Turkey folks BEFORE going thru the customs line. It was on the left had side after arrival and you had to pay cash for the visa. It is explained better in RS Istanbul Guide Book.
I sure enjoyed Istanbul and would return there in a minute.

Posted by
284 posts

Also, bring exact change for the Turkish visa. It's $25. I'm actually not sure 100% where you will clear, but I think it's in Turkey unless you have two stops in the EU. If you have two stops in the EU, then you might have to clear customs again at the second EU city to leave the EU...
So, if you have EWR-CDG-IST, then I would bet that you will be clearing customs in IST, since you never have to leave the international side (theoretically).

Posted by
1175 posts

You will go through customs in Istanbul if you are booked clear through to Istanbul. The visa when we went though in May was on the right hand side and was well marked. It cost us $20 US so we had two twenties ready and we breezed through.