Please sign in to post.

Night train from Warsaw to Prague

My husband and I are planning a trip to Poland and Prague in November and have been considering taking a night train from Warsaw to Prague to save us some time and allow us to use more of our daylight hours enjoying each city. However, Rick's recent blog/Facebook post features his son, Andy, advocating against night trains. Any thoughts as to whether the particular night train we're thinking of taking is better or worse than catching a quick flight? We were thinking of doing a two-person private couchette and thought it would be a better alternative to spending a good chunk of the day flying (getting to the airport two hours early, then two hours for the flight itself, then two hours getting through customs and finding our hotel). Are night trains really all that bad? Does anyone have particular experience using a two-person couchette on the one we plan to take? Is there anything I could pack to make the experience more pleasant?

Posted by
8700 posts

I like night trains, but I haven't traveled on one between Warsaw and Prague so I can't comment on cleanliness or any other aspect of that particular night train. For the sake of clarity, couchettes have either four or six bunks. Sleepers have either one, two, or three beds.

Posted by
317 posts

Like Tim, I've never done a night train between Warsaw and Prague. Also like Tim, I actually like night trains. While they may be different than they once were (Andy is right on that point), it doesn't make them less viable.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks to you both! I think it will be an interesting new travel experience that will also save us some sightseeing time. And thanks, Tim, for providing a distinction between couchettes and sleepers; that will be important to know when we go to buy our tickets.