Please sign in to post.

help - italy/croatia in 2 wks for 2 wks

hello, my friend and i are arriving/departing from Rome on June 19th - July 3rd. I have been to Rome and Venice once before, and am returning for the first time in the summer months and brining my friend. However, I want to experience Sorrento, Capri, Possitano....and am interested in travling to Croatia (probably Hvar and Split) for a short time. What would you recommend? NOt sure if the Ferry's are worth the time? We are skipping northern Itlay in the interest of time. Also wondering whether to rent a car or take a train... thank you so much! I am in analysis paralysis.

Posted by
4 posts

Ha! I think I have considered every place:) I guess the best thing for me to do is determine where to go from Rome. I figured we would stay there for 3-4 days, and not sure if we should hop on a train and bolt to sorrento? And then I've red about yacht week...not sure if that is crazy, college age partying? Thinking spring break in Fl?

Posted by
4 posts

I have a few question on logistics/possible iteberaries. We have two weeks and were thinking 3-4 days in Rome. How long should we stay in the Sorrento area? And would you recommend a car? I wondering with traffic and the serpentine roads, if a car or train is best. We the. Want to spend 3-5 days in hvar and split. But I'm not sure whether it's worth the time on the ferry/hydrofoil?

Posted by
6788 posts

First recommendation: be honest with yourself. How many FULL days do you really have there? Don't count your arrival day or your departure day, that's cheating. IMHO a car would be a really, really bad idea in any of the places you list. Take the train between Rome and Sorrento. Take a bus/boat elsewhere. You really, really do not want to try and drive there. If you want to get from any of the places in Italy that you mention to Splt, I think you'll need to fly, since getting to the ferry and taking the ferry would eat up some time, and you don't have much. I was in Splt and Hvar 10 days ago. Honestly, I thought they were OK, but I thought I would have been happy to have done Split in half a day and moved on. Hvar didn't impress me that much either (we spent a half day there and it was plenty) - I liked Korcula much better, but my tastes may not match yours. A more important question: where does your return flight leave from? Allow time to get there. Which commodity is most constrained for you - time or money? Given your limited time and the fact that you're trying to do Rome plus the stuff around Sorrento, I suspect you probably don't have time for Croatia unless you fly in for a quickie/drive-by. Hope that helps a bit.