Please sign in to post.

Itinerary question

I am flying into Barcelona on the 6th where my daughter is finishing up classes. We will leave for Italy the next day, flying into either Florence, Pisa, or Genoa. We want to visit Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice, the Swiss Alps (Interlaken, maybe?) and Paris. We will be in Europe for 12 nights and would like to stay at least two nights in each stop except one night in Barcelona and 3 nights in Paris. We fly out of Paris the 18th. Cannot decide if that is too much for 12 nights and maybe should eliminate Venice. Another alternative would be to go to Venice and then the Dolomites instead of the Swiss Alps but I would still like to do some hikiing and riding on a scenic railway. Our Barselona and Paris flights are booked so changing that is not an option but we are flexible on how to get into Paris, train or plane. I guess my main question is do you think we should cram CT, Florence, Venice, and the Alps in between Barselona & Paris or eliminate something. Maybe you can suggest a place that would fit even better into our itinerary.

Posted by
33 posts

My son also studied in Barcelona and drove us crazy with the places he wanted to go when we visited. I finally said forget it and spent the whole time on wonderful Barcelona. I do not regret it at all.

Posted by
2758 posts

I think that's too much. When you factor in the time it will take to get to each place, you'll only have at best a day and a half in each place. And just a half of a jet lagged day in Barcelona. Even three nights (2 1/2 days) in Paris is not much for such a fabulous city that has so much to do. And all that travel costs money. I think the idea to go to Venice, the Dolomites, then Paris is much better. Maybe 2 nights in Barcelona, 3 nights in Venice, 3 nights in the Dolomites, and 4 nights in Paris. Or take a night off Venice or the Dolomites and add it to Paris.

Posted by
4132 posts

Goodness yes it is too much. These places are not flat. You'll be spending half of your trip getting from place to place. If you really are not going to enjoy Barcelona, then do yourself a favor and limit yourself to 3 other destinations. If Paris is a given and these are your priorities I'd say--4 days in Paris, 3 in the Alps, 3 in Italy, plus two travel days.