Please sign in to post.

Switzerland Train Travel Pricing Question

My girlfriend and I (both age 25) are traveling to Switzerland for 6 days. We land in Geneva, spend 1 night in Montreux, then 1 night in Lucerne, then 3 nights in Murren, then 1 night in Geneva. I priced out the train journeys, and I came to roughly $300 USD/person. I was wondering whether we should buy travel cards. We qualify for youth passes, but we won't be taking very expensive train journeys while in Murren (except for going up/down to Lauterbrunnen, etc.). Thoughts are much appreciated, as the websites I have checked so far for pricing are quite confusing! Thanks so much in advance!

Posted by
7209 posts

When are you going? There's a special 2 for 1 offer if you travel in May or if you're going in September. So you're not planning on going to the Schilthorn or to the Jungfrau? Have you investigated a Half Fare Card? According to http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard.asp?lang=EN you can buy 2 Half Fare Cards in Switzerland for total $230 ($115 each person) which cuts all of your travel expenses in half. If you're planning on spending $300 person then with your half fare card that would be ($115 + $300/2). Also with the HFC you would get big discounts on trips like the Jungfrau and Schilthorn if you decided to go.

Posted by
66 posts

We are going in late July, so the current 2-for-1 deal wouldn't apply. I was thinking the 1/2 fare card for each of us was the best deal, but I wasn't sure. In terms of Schilthorn and Jungfrau, we got a deal with our hotel so the trip for both of us to Schilthorn is covered, but Jungfrau is not covered. Of course, I'm not sure if we would want to make both trips as I've heard they are similar. What sort of savings would that be if we decided to go up Jungfrau? I guess most importantly, let's say we want to do a day outside Murren, venturing to neighboring villages/towns, etc.,--would justify purchasing something besides a half-fare card for each of us? EDIT: Also, I posted our age just in case there was a 25-and-under fare that I missed in one of the passes that made it a better deal. thanks for your help!