Please sign in to post.

portugal car rental

any suggestions re car rental in Porto for Duro Valley and to leave in Lisbon?

Posted by
931 posts

Have you checked prices and availability with Autoeuropes website? We usually use them for all of our auto rentals in the EU, and have never had a problem. They are a broker, based in Maine, that uses many of the "major" rental companies. Europecar, Hertz, etc. When we rented in Portugal a couple of years ago, we got our best rate thru an agency called "Guerin", but we had some problems with them honoring their quote (luckily I had a copy with me.) I have also seen other people complain about them. Sometimes the cheapest is NOT the best.

Posted by
9110 posts

Both Spain and Portugal have loads of independent car rental places - - you need to be wary of most of them since they have all kinds of rules you wouldn't normally expect (ex: no cross-border operations). Additionally, they only have one office so you can't elsewhere nor can you trade it in at a different place if it poops out. I've used a couple in Spain, but I know there rules (and had to have a break-down fixed at my expense - - it was later reimbursed, but it burned a day and a half. I'd steer clear of them and stick with the majors. Also, be aware that all autoeurope does is get you a car - - subsequent problems have to be worked out with everwho they foist you off on - - been there as well following a demolition derby is Australia a few months ago.

Posted by
1635 posts

Several years ago we rented a car from Eurocar in Porto (not at the airport) and drove about 5 blocks to the highway to the Douro. A week later we dropped off the car at the airport in Lisbon, and took a cab to our hotel in Lisbon. Everything went very smooth.