Please sign in to post.

Italy Train

Hi im currently trying to book a train on the Trenitalia website from bologna to riccione but for the day i would like to buy a ticket it wont allow me. If i switch the day im allowed to buy a ticket should i be worried and is the train sold out. One train im looking at is: Bologna Centrale 13:35 * Riccione 15:13 using the Regionale Veloc train. also it will only allow me to book a few options from riccione to venice. the train i can book is InterCityNotte and connecting FRECCIARGENTO. but due to the time i cannot take this train. Would i be ok to buy all my tickets when i arrive in italy?
Also im confused i can book these trains with RailEurope.com but the the shipping fee of $15 on a $18 ticket is a bit much. Thanks in advance

Posted by
1260 posts

Hi enrico. For regional trains, do NOT buy your tix in advance, there is no discount and no reservations, so impossible for the train to sell out. Just buy your tix when there. For Inter City and Frecca trains, you can buy that leg in advance if you want to lock in an exact date and time, but in your situation, probably just best to wait and buy all tix when there.
Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
6898 posts

The reason that you are having difficulty is that Trenitalia will not sell you a ticket online for a Regionale class train farther out than 7 days from the time you want to travel. Don't worry. The trains are not full. In fact, no reservations of any kind permitted. Just buy your ticket when you arrive in Bologna. Just remember to validate your ticket in the little yellow box in the train station before boarding. Go on board and find a seat. If no seats, you can stand. Trains seem to run about once an hour. Travel time is about 90 minutes. The fare on the Regionale run is 9.20E. No train changes either. You'll be fine.