Please sign in to post.

Confused about Trains (France & Spain)

I'm planning to travel from 1. Paris to Carcassone by train on Sunday Sept 16. (Spend the night and then) 2. Carcassonne-> Barcelona Then on future days: 3. Barcelona->Toledo 4.Toledo-> Sevilla 5.Sevilla->Granada 6.Granada-> Madrid Since I still have more than 90 days time I started looking at the website www.tgv-europe.com to give me an idea on the prices: The first segment is Paris -> Carcassone using the fast train quoted me about 86 euros. (which probably is not bad); however i'm not using the real date yet since it is not available (i'm just practicing) 1. My first question is when I get to the section for collecting my tickets I do not see the option Print at Home. Is that option not available for fast trains? If I cannot print them at home then I guess I can either Collect from an Automated Ticket Machine or Retrival on a french Station. Deliver free by Post probably is not valid for USA. However there is a fine print for the ticket machine that cards with no chip are not accepted.. and all my cards from US have no chip. Probably the only option left is pick up at French Station (provided I get the pin number??) Is that the pin code the same as if I was going to do an cash withdraw? 2.when I use USA as the country and sends me to raileurope site it gives me exactly the same price. I dont understand why i read try using other countries and not use the USA site. Is it more expensive under different scenarios? 3. Considering the other segments that I will be traveling.. is it more convenient to buy the Rail Pass? I'm confused wheter I can use the pass in the 2 countries (France and Spain)
I will try to use the fast trains if possible to maximize my stay in those cities. Please advise.

Posted by
1260 posts

Hi fernando. 1. Select retrieval in french station; your regular credit card will work fine, just bring the credit card you used and your ticket info to the ticket window, they will give you your tix. 2. The tgv site shows all trains and all discounts, rail europe only shows some trains and some discounts. 3. Don't buy a rail pass. Cheaper and more convenient to buy individual tix. If you are willing to lock in dates and times, shop ahead online as you are to find big discounts. X. Note tgv site is only for France. For Spain, there is a different site which people sometimes find difficult to use - search this site for comments / alternatives.
Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
102 posts

Thanks a lot for your advice. I think i will do that. rail passes seem too much trouble.

Posted by
984 posts

There is extremely little likelihood a rail pass of any sort will be value in Spain. Certainly if pre-planning and pre-purchasing discounted tickets. This is provable, but only you can do the maths.comparison. Read at least - http://www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#How_to_use_www.renfe.com and if necessary, and as you are from the U.S., you may need this comprehensive - http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid:Spain:Buying.Renfe.Tickets.Online..html If you are not aware, any journey to or from Toledo is via Madrid.

Posted by
1167 posts

To avoid being directed to the Raileurope site use UK as your country. There is no problem with doing that as far as purchasing tickets goes.

Posted by
102 posts

Yes, thank you.. i've been looking at the sites.. Thanks Lola for giving me a guideline for the prices.. i will try to buy them direclty with renfen and also tvg-europe.com using other country except us.. but i think I have to wait 60 or 90 days before my trip.. I read that in June 18 new schedulles are coming out.. so I will look again then.. thanks all for your input.