Please sign in to post.

Airfare to Europe

We will be booking a flight Dulles-Florence for late September. Fares right now are around $1200 per person. Is there any chance they may drop if we wait until mid to late June to book?

Posted by
180 posts

Honestly, I would keep checking every few days. We were looking at Budapest, but then I saw London drop from $1100 to $845 (from MCI) and booked it.. the next day it was back up to $1140 and our flight was $1320. Not sure if you can post other travel sites on here.. I like Kayak, but it kept giving me fares that weren't available. I found the above flight on Hipmunk.

Posted by
23301 posts

Maybe, maybe not. There is no answer to that question. It varies so much depending on a host of uncontrollable factors. And it is easy to tell you to wait, because I have nothing at risk. Actually I don't think 1200 is bad for going into Florence.

Posted by
24 posts

Maybe. Since airfare is mostly determined by the price of jetfuel and the price of oil has been dropping lately then waiting a little while longer maybe worthwhile since your trip isn't until late September. I really can't see the prices going up.

Posted by
84 posts

I experienced the same thing as Jennifer. I happened to be looking on a Sat. morn very early and saved us more than 50%. Never saw that price again and we are leaving soon. The dropped price was about 6 mos out. It lasted for almost one day and then it was way back up again until about 3 mos. out when it dropped about 30% but never did go down as far as that one day, at least as far as I know. I probably kept track about once or twice a week after we bought our tickets.

Posted by
7039 posts

While airfares are notoriously fickle and also depends on your route, here is my experince (FWIW). I'm flying from Denver to Paris on July 1. In Feb I started looking at flights, they were running around $1000-1050. I set up a notification on Kayak and watched if for a few weeks. Rates fluctuated up and down a few $$ but nothing significant. In late March they went up about a hundred dollars and I got nervous so on April 1st I bought at $1136. Since then I have watched it out of curiosity and it's still going up. It's now a month and 1/2 out and still going up so I'm glad I bought it when I did. Waiting until 6-8 weeks prior to flight may be the often suggested 'ideal' time to buy, but for me it wasn't. If you feel comfortable waiting, then wait. You may get a better deal or you may not. You'll have to do what you feel comfortable with. I was too nervous to wait and glad I didn't.

Posted by
441 posts

Marjie, I followed flights for weeks and my flights were running about 1350 until one day one of the airlines dropped to 1250. I booked it. When you find a price you can live with...book it and don't look back. BTW my flight's in October and I booked it at the start of May.

Posted by
5 posts

Our travel agent advised us that historically when the Olympics are in Europe, no matter where it's located, airfare is more expensive. I just wonder how the fares will react AFTER the games. That being said we booked INTO London in late June because it was cheaper than other flights. Good luck, there seems to be no rhyme or reason!!!