Please sign in to post.

Car Rental For Tuscany

Will be arriving in Rome on May 24th and will spend a week in Tuscany area. What is the best town on the way there to rent a car? Don't want to rent/drive in Rome.
Thanks!

Posted by
934 posts

I would suggest taking the train to Orvieto and staying the night. Neat town to visit and then rent a car the next day.

Posted by
3696 posts

If you are going to be traveling near or to Florence, you could take the train from Rome to Florence... visit Florence, then get the car at the airport and head to the hillside towns. Its easy if you pay attention to signs and do not attempt to drive in Florence.

Posted by
32328 posts

Joe, Don't forget that each driver must have the compulsory International Driver's Permit for driving in Italy (must be used in conjunction with your home D.L.). Also, if you decide to rent in Florence, you'll need to be VERY careful to avoid the ZTL areas (hefty fines!). Cheers!

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks to all for comments regarding car rental for Tuscany area. Taking the train to Orvieto and renting there sounds like a winner.

Posted by
1633 posts

Look into getting the car at/by the train station. Buy a Michelin, or similar, detailed map at your local Barnes & Noble and get familiar with the street signs and the red roads/autostrada you want to take. I rent my cars from AutoEurope or Kemwel. You can check their rates online then call them to finalize your rental. Sometimes they have specials like class upgrades. Check into getting a GPS. Most of all, have a great time discovering the area.

Posted by
87 posts

We will be doing this in September and will be taking a train from Rome to Orvieto , spending the night there and then renting a car for travel around the hill towns