Please sign in to post.

Paris Visite

I have seen lots of discussions on this, but I am still not sure what is best for me. I will be in Paris from a Tuesday & leaving the next Tuesday. I am flying in and out of CDG airport and staying near Rue Cler. Planning on seeing Versailles. I am for sure buying the Musuem Pass, but not sure the best deal for Metro/Bus/RER. I can't find the price of a Paris Visite pass on the ratp.fr websie. Given the above information. Is the convience of the Visite pass worth the price (whatever it is) over buy a carnet of tickets and indivdual RER passes? Any suggestions?

Posted by
120 posts

The Visite pass is sold for a given number of days (1, 2, 3 or 5 days) and either zones 1 to 3 or zones 1 to 5. The zone 1 to 5 pass is is roughly double the cost of zone 1 to 3 pass. Versailles is in zone 4, CDG is in zone 5. How do you plan to travel from CDG and what other locations in Paris would you be going to? See this for current prices: http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_21894/paris-visite/

Posted by
11507 posts

This is the best site ever ,,google for it : Paris By Train... you will get all the prices, tips, even see photos of the ticket machines , how to use the metro, all maps, its a wonderful resourse.

Posted by
4684 posts

The Paris Visite is generally a bad deal compared with carnets unless you are sure you will use a lot of the discounts attached. If you are arriving in Paris on Tuesday it may be worth getting a weekly Navigo pass aimed at residents rather than tourists - these require a photo and are only available for a Monday-Sunday calendar week.

Posted by
8700 posts

The Paris Visite pass is overpriced. There are better choices. Buy a single ticket (€9.25) to get from CDG to the station closest to your hotel using the RER and Metro. Do the same for your return to CDG. Buy single tickets to get from Paris to Versailles and return (€3.25 each way). What is best fo your days in Paris itself depends upon how many rides you plan to average per day. If you plan to walk a lot, then the simplest thing to do is buy ten-ticket carnets (€12.70) as needed. Each ticket will be good anywhere the Metro goes (some lines end in zone 3) and on the RER in zone 1 (all of central Paris)and provides unlimited transfers until you exit the system. Each ticket is good for bus transfers up to 90 minutes after boarding the first bus but not for transfers between the Metro/RER and the bus. Tickets also are good on the Montmartre funiculaire that goes to Sacre-Coeur. The best transportation pass is the weekly zone 1-2 Navigo Semaine which costs €19.15. You load it on a re-useable passe Navigo Decouverte card which costs €5.00 and is good for ten years. You must attach a small photo to the card. Make a color copy of your passport photo, shrunk to about 2"x2". With a ten-ticket carnet, each ride costs €1.27 so 19 rides will cost €24.13. Based on that figure and including €5.00 for the card, a Navigo Semaine will pay for itself after only 15 rides. So what should you do? Either (1) Buy a Navigo Semaine and use it Tuesday-Sunday and buy a carnet for Monday-Tuesday. Or (2) Buy carnets as needed for the entire time you're in Paris.