Please sign in to post.

German Rail Twin Pass

We would like to buy the German Rail Twin Passes for myself, my husband, and our two adult sons. But one of our sons will be returning home earlier than the rest of us. Do both travelers on a twin pass have to travel together for the duration of the rail pass, or only at the beginning to validate it?

Posted by
19240 posts

I don't think both travelers have to be using the pass that day. They specify "2 adults traveling together" because there is just one pass, so if only one person is traveling, the other person can't use it to go somewhere else at the same time. I looked at the AGB (conditions of carriage) , page 22, and it does not say the pass is only valid if both pass holders are using it. However, the names of both people are on the pass. If only one of them is traveling, a third person, not named on the pass, cannot be substituted. This is what Eurail says (Does my group need to travel together?) about Saver Passes, "The Saver Pass is an individual pass listing the names and passport numbers of 2-5 travelers. This means that it is not possible for individual travelers listed on the pass to make different train journeys at the same time. If only one person uses the Saver Pass to travel, it counts as a travel day for all travelers on the pass." The German Rail pass is NOT a Eurail pass, but use rules aught to be similar.

Posted by
3050 posts

Lee is correct. The pass is fine if only one named person is on the pass, provided the other person isn't also trying to travel at the same time with the pass (not that there would be any physical way to do this).