Please sign in to post.

Neuschwanstein Castle

Me and my cousin want to visit Neuschwanstein Castle but arent sure which airport to fly into?

Posted by
9110 posts

Munich is the closest international airport.

Posted by
32219 posts

Pauline, Your best bet is to fly inbound to Munich, and use that as your "home base" for visiting the Castles (or other sights in the area). Munich is also a beautiful city with lots to see and do (one of my favourites!). I'll be heading there myself later this year, and really looking forward to being back in Munich! For the visit to Neuschwanstein, you can either make the reservations and transportation arrangements yourself, or take a Guided tour from Munich. Have a look at Radius Tours for one example. Be sure to spend a few minutes on the Bridge that overlooks the Castle (Marienbrücke) - the views are incredible! They also offer great Walking and Bike tours in Munich. I felt the tour was good value and the best option for my travel style. Others prefer to travel on their own - your choice. Happy travels!

Posted by
19103 posts

I am one of those people who have discovered that it is not that difficult to do the castle tour on you own, and you'll save a bundle of money that way. Read my webpage on how to get there inexpensively on your own. Whether you go out to the castle on your own or on a 3rd party tour, the tour through the castles is by castle personnel and at an extra cost over and above the tour price. Allgeäu airport in Memmingenberg is probably closer to Füssen than is Munich, but it is mostly served by RyanAir, which only flies there from other mostly difficult to get to airports.