Please sign in to post.

Carry-on restrictions

Traveling from U.S. to Europe in May. I will be using 4 different airlines in the course of 2 weeks. AA has pretty normal carry-on restrictions (according to RS travel tips.) This is the first time I am trying to travel only with carry-on. The other airlines' restrictions are all over the place. Alitalia has 8kg total weight for carry-on , 55x35x25 including handles, pockets and wheels, and they stress ONE PIECE. Does that mean I cannot carry a shoulder bag or any type of hand purse. WizzAir says 10 kg, any more than one piece of hand luggage and we are not allowed past security. Jet2 says one bag at 10kg. I am nervous that I am going to pare down to a backpack,(which I'm not happy about because I do have a weak back) and then still may not be able to board with it, and have to check it anyway. Has anyone traveled any of these airlines, and do you have any advice? I do have a choice of traveling wizzair or alitalia, one day apart to venice. I wanted to do alitalia because it flies to san marco, whereas wizzair flies to treviso, but it looks like wizzair is a little more lenient in restrictions. Appreciate any advice.
thanks, julie

Posted by
33553 posts

If it says ONE it means ONE. No purse, no laptop, no skis, ONE. Everything else has to fit into the one. And the weight and size requirements as stated. Maybe it will slip through, maybe you will be paying top dollar to gate check it. Want to take that risk?

Posted by
19240 posts

My convertible (non-wheeled) carryon is 53 x 33 x 23 with minimal pockets. I don't fill it completely, so it would squash down to fit the 20 cm for most European airlines. It weighs less than 2# empty, less than 11#, packed. I have a small bag for my netbook. Packed it's about 5-5½# (less than some women's purses) and would fit in the larger bag. I don't see a problem. Packing light takes discipline, but it can be done.

Posted by
23569 posts

There is no way to give you a firm answer. It is totally dependent on the airline and how strict they are with the restrictions when you check in. We normally have found that the European airlines are concerned about size than weight. However, that does not mean that someone will not weigh your bag. Many of the discount airlines depend heavily on the "extra bag" fees that they can collect so they tend to be very strict because it is money in their pocket. And generally one piece means one piece. You have to assume that they will enforce their restrictions and plan accordingly. If they do not, consider yourself lucky that day.

Posted by
32327 posts

Julie, I've found that the European airlines tend to be VERY strict with carry-on sizes, although some enforce the rules more rigorously than others. I've seen examples where passengers got into a huge argument with gate staff, and the Pilot had to be called and he "read the riot act" to the passengers. I'm not sure if they ended up getting on the flight or not? As Nigel and the websites mentioned, the usual rule is ONE carry-on item ONLY. That doesn't mean one plus a personal item such as a Purse, Laptop case or other item, it means ONLY ONLY of the approved size (they don't seem to care as much about weight these days). A weight of 10 kG is only about 22 lbs, so unless you can keep the weight below that limit you'll have to be prepared to check your bags and pay any fees associated with that. BE SURE not to leave valuables in the bag if you have to check it. You might want to carry a small Daypack (such as the RS Civita Pack) so that you can take valuables and any essential items onto the plane with you. I tend to "plan for the worst and hope for the best". I always check one bag and hope that my Daypack will fit the limits. However, I'm prepared to check it if necessary, and always pay for an extra weight allowance at the time of booking, since it's cheaper to do that when booking rather than at the gate. Happy travels!

Posted by
5797 posts

If your luggage is larger than the limit, be prepared to check. On the budget airlines, they often charge less to check a bag if you pay in advance online. If they say one bag, they mean one. This is pretty common with the discount airlines. It is not the end of the world to have to check a bag. Sometimes it is less stressful to just plan to check a bag and carry on your essentials. When I travel for business in the U.S., I just about always carry-on. When I'm on vacation, I usually just check. I do always carry on a change of clothes, valuables, and other essentials.

Posted by
16089 posts

Julie...regarding the two bags you mentioned: The Redoxx Sky Train is an excellent bag but it's also one of the heaviest in the category at 4 lbs. For the money, there are better bags than the RS Convertible. The new design has some bad design flaws: cinch straps that will put more pressure on the main compartment zippers than help and zipper pulls with no holes so they can't be locked or held together. I'd suggest looking at the following bags: L.L. Bean Quickload Travel Pack: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/51615?feat=sr&term=Quickload%20Travel%20Pack Tom Bihn Aeronaut: http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0906 The Ebags Motherlode Weekender TLS: http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101 The last one is the heaviest by a pound. I own all three bags and now switch back and forth between the first two. Never had a problem having to check them. If you'd like a full list of all convertible carry-on bags currently available with their weights and dimensions, go here: http://www.1bag1world.com/blog/2012/3/24/convertible-bags.html (Disclaimer: I compiled the list but I have no commercial connection to any of the products. It was just meant for reference.)

Posted by
85 posts

Last year while on my trip to Paris from the US I flew Delta and of course had no difficulty with my Rick Steves roller bag. Returning however I left from Venice and had one leg of the trip (Venice to Paris) on Air France. Had to check it. I hate to check luggage but figured I was on my way home. It made it just fine. Next year I am going back again and will have one leg of my trip that I will fly inter Europe from Paris to Copenhagen. I am already figuring I will need to check the roller bag. But since there is no connecting flight I am pretty sure it will be fine. I hope so since it will be at the beginning of my vacation !!! Bottom line, just assume you will have to check your usual carry on luggage while in Europe.

Posted by
3941 posts

Flew with Alitalia in 2008 (fr London-Rome) and both my husband and I had our carry-on size bag(normal size roll-on), as well as our 'personal' item (computer bag) and I also had a purse...no problem at all...no one weighed luggage or anything, but maybe they have changed policies, and I think a lot depends on who is manning the counter...

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks to all. I have no aversion to checking my bag if I am going home, or if I am going somewhere for an extended time; but seeing as I will be moving every three days, I am afraid of not having my luggage catch up to me en route. I am leaning towards Redoxx carryon backpack or RS convertible carry on. My goal is to under pack so it will fit in the "box". We are going on a VERY casual vacation, so I do not need extra evening clothes, jewelry, shoes, computer, electronics, et cetera. I will pack two empty, flat tote bags in the luggage so we will have something to carry on board on our way home, to hold camera, i.d. stuff, etc. Once we are in italy it won't matter if we overpack and check the luggage. Am I completely on the wrong track?