Please sign in to post.

travel from rome

this is our first experience traveling by trains. can you help me with the best way to get from rome airport to the train station heading to naples. then traveling from naples to positano? Thank You,

Posted by
32212 posts

susan, Is this also your first trip to Europe? If that's the case, I'd highly recommend reading Europe Through The Back Door prior to your trip. It contains a LOT of great information on "how" to travel in Europe, including "Rail Skills". For the airport, you'll first need to take the Leonardo Express to Roma Termini. The station is well marked and easy to find. Fare is 14€ PP if purchased at a Kiosk and 15€ PP if purchased at the ticket windows. ONE IMPORTANT POINT - be sure to validate your ticket in the yellow machine PRIOR to boarding the train, as hefty fines may result if you're found with unvalidated tickets. You can buy tickets for your ongoing journey to Naples at the same time. You'll arrive at Roma Termini at Track (Binario) 24 on the far side of the station, and it will take 5-10 minutes to get off the train and walk to the front of the station. There you can check the electronic board for details on the train to Naples. On that trip, you'll likely be travelling via EuroStar Italia / Alta Velocita (compulsory reservations), so you'll have an assigned Car No. (Carozza) and Seat No. (Posti). When you arrive at Napoli Centrale, you'll walk downstairs to the Circumvesuviana station and purchase tickets for the trip to Sorrento. Note that there are several rail lines so be sure to board the correct train (Sorrento is the "end of the line" on that route). When you arrive in Sorrento, you'll transfer to the Bus for the trip to Positano (there's NO rail access to Positano). Are you planning to take this trip after an international flight? That's going to be a LONG DAY! In those circumstances, I might consider hiring a driver from Sorrento to Positano (details on reliable services listed in the Italy Guidebook). Happy travels!

Posted by
5 posts

thank you so much you have been very helpful!
susan

Posted by
32212 posts

susan, I thought it might be helpful to add one more item. For an excellent description with photos, have a look at Ron's Excellent Website. This will give you some idea of the layout of the airport station and ticket Kiosks. Cheers!

Posted by
524 posts

Susan The strategies mentioned above for getting from Rome FCO to Positano are great. However, if you are arriving directly from the US and trying to do this it would be very stressful. If you sleep like a baby on the plane and arrive ready to hit the ground running, you can do this. On the other hand, if on the plane you just have 10 min. catnaps and arrive bleary, grubby, out of sorts, disoriented and can't even speak English, I would stay in Rome one night. By the way, I am descibing myself. There are 4 connections to get to Positano. Too much IMHO, after US flight. Here is the scenario: FCO train to Rome Termini, Rome Termini train to Naples train station, Naples local train to Sorrento, Sorrento train to local bus
to Positano. Also, I have also wondered if it would be better or is possible to get from Naples to Salerno and then get a bus or private car to Positano. Anyone know? Bobbie