Please sign in to post.

Booking on Trenitalia

Hi all, I've tried SBB and Trenitalia to book a seat for one week from today from Milan to Zurich on the 7:10 route. It quotes me a price, select a seat and then when I get to the pick up the ticket option - no good choice - I'm still in US until Sunday. What am I missing - I thought you could take advantage of discounts by buying ahead - but I really need help and fast!! Thanks to all!

Posted by
3259 posts

I think you have to book that on the Trenitalia site, and the option is to pick it up in Italy using a confirmation they give you. Dont' use SBB cuz those tickets have to be picked up in Switzerland, or shipped at great expense.

Posted by
78 posts

I have tried on Trenitalia - it only give the option to mail (not possible) - no print at home or electronic option. I still think I'm missing some info - but thanks

Posted by
3259 posts

It's there, on the page where you choose a fare (adult/standard), etc. Scrolll down. You can check the "self-service" option. You have to be registered on the website and logged in. But don't worry. The discount fares are gone and you can buy that ticket at any station when you get to italy.

Posted by
78 posts

So Trenitalia gives me two options: self service and ticket delivery - but when I click on the self service option - it is in Italian and I don't know what that means - does it mean I can pick it up at the station or what? I really want to get that good fare purchased today but it ask for credit card info before really telling me more info> Any help????
Thanks!!!

Posted by
1260 posts

Yvonda. Yes, self service means pick up at a station in Italy. But per previous comment, the 67.40 price is not a discount; might as well just wait and buy when you are in Italy. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
78 posts

Bob, thanks for that confirmation that I can pick up in Italy but I did find a 'Smart rate' of 29 euros - can you think of any reason I shouldn't buy that in advance?
Thanks very much!

Posted by
7209 posts

If you can't read the Italian website then cut and paste the text into google translate.