Please sign in to post.

rental car for Tuscany

We will be staying in a villa just outside of Orvieto and need a car to get around the small villages in Tuscany for the week..we will be coming in from Rome..should we rent there or take the train to Orvieto and rent one once we are out of the city? Hearing you do not want a car in the big cities

Posted by
2876 posts

Pick up the car in Orvieto. You do not need or want a car in Rome.

Posted by
8710 posts

Train to Chiusi, rent there and drive back to Orvieto. Worked for me.

Posted by
32219 posts

Vikki, I'd suggest renting the car in Orvieto. As I recall, there are rental agencies close to the station. Are you aware of the usual "issues" regarding driving in Italy? I've probably mentioned this in a previous reply in one of your Threads, but if you need further information post another note. Cheers!

Posted by
87 posts

I do remember your comments Ken and will go back and re read...we know we have to go to AAA and get a driver's license..anything else to worry about? we are needing it to get around Tuscany and to our villa from the trains..we have no plans of going anywhere near the cities with the car...
thanks for the input

Posted by
8170 posts

There's a Hertz location in Orvieto adjoining the train station. Check their rates online, and then check AutoEurope's rates for the same city. Chances are that AutoEurope's cars will also be Hertz cars. Choose whoever's prices are lowest.