Please sign in to post.

Seeing Lucca...the easy way?

Greetings Expert Italy Travelers! My spouse and I are embarking on a nearly-3week excursion to Ireland/Italy to see areas of family heritage. My grandmother is from Lucca, so that MUST be a stop on our list. Currently, our Italy plan is to fly into Milan, train south to Cinqueterre and then....
That's where I need your help. When I look on maps, it seems like the way out of Cinqueterre/Pisa would be the best time to stop in Lucca, and then continue on to Florence. OR, the second option would be to go Cinqueterre/Pisa train right into Florence, and come back up north to Lucca. I'm not sure if there are trains to Lucca from Florence? Bus? What would be easiest and/or cheapest in your opinion? Thanks so much for the help! Liz

Posted by
32327 posts

Liz, My suggestion would be to travel from the Cinque Terre to Lucca, as that's exactly the route I took last September. Using Monterosso as the departure point, it's an easy trip - 1H:24M with one change in Viareggio. Current second class fare is €12. This may vary slightly, depending on which of the five towns you're departing from. The trip from Lucca to Florence is also very easy, about 1H:20M, current second class fare €6.40. In the same situation, that's the route I would use. The trains are usually Regionale on those routes, so DON'T FORGET to validate your tickets! Happy travels!

Posted by
591 posts

Just an added comment ........ Lucca is a great destination of itself. The top of the wall that surrounds the city is so wide it was made into a park - good for strolling or even biking. Just a very pleasant place to visit.