Please sign in to post.

$800 the new $600 airfare?

I realize that there's no way to predict what airfares will do--just wondering how other budget travelers perceive the current airfares? Do you consider the $800 price range a "deal" considering current conditions?

Posted by
7209 posts

Personally I do think that $800 is the new $600 deal. We've flown to Europe during high season for the last several years and rarely have we ever paid over $500. About a month ago I was able to snag a flight from Knoxville, TN to Venice for $795 in June 2009 which I think was a good deal...especially considering the same flight now has a price of over $1700.

We also flew to Europe in October 2007 and since we wanted to go to Prague we paid more than I really wanted to pay at $750. The previous Fall we flew to Munich for $400.

So yes, I do think that $800 is the new $600 fare.

Posted by
15003 posts

Airlines are starting to show some good winter fares to Europe. With the economy the way it is, I think the airlines are very worried--even though fuel prices are dropping.

Posted by
780 posts

It seems to be like that...

My flight to London in December cost $842. That was the cheapest, the others are around $1100 and so.

5 years ago I could have gotten it for $600.

Posted by
208 posts

Sharon I think that you are correct. I've been pricing out airfare to Scotland in November (heavy offseason) and haven't come up with anything cheaper than $860.
In comparison, through a cyber-saver deal through NWA, in 2004 we went to Paris for a long weekend for $325 - including tax! Those were the days....

Posted by
71 posts

Yeah, in my opinion $800 is the new $600. That's a bargain given the way the economy is right now.

Posted by
689 posts

I've been surprised, when looking around, that I've still found deals from here in Seattle to Europe. I just saw a non-top Air France fare for $712--including tax! And, there were seats--it wasn't one of those advertised but not really available fares. There are plenty of fares for $850 for this winter. But I would still consider $800 a very good fare, from Seattle. SAS always has great winter deals from Seattle, Chicago or NY-it will be interesting to see what they go for this year (it wasn't that long ago they were $299-349+tax).

I think it also depends on where you're coming from. That's obviously a better deal from a West Coast, or smaller city, than it is from NY.

Posted by
71 posts

True. I fly out of Houston, and it's always about $800 here.

Posted by
780 posts

Im glad to read this post. My British husband (who says he paid 275 pounds round trip 5 years ago) says its highway robbery that I paid $842 to go to london and back. But it seems that it may be the going rate!!

Posted by
3580 posts

You can shop around on Kayak.com, but I think you will find that the $800 range is about the lowest you'll find. I paid about $850 San Francisco to London in Sept.

Posted by
98 posts

Wow, Tim. I have been looking for flights to Venice from Nashville for April and can't find anything close to that price. Kudos to you. I am thinking of holding off until 2010 to visit my friends. More time to save.

Posted by
3580 posts

I can get to many parts of Europe cheaper by flying United non-stop to London then taking EasyJet of RyanAir from there.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hi Sharon. I thought airline ticket prices are lower for travel during the winter months, especially for flying from U.S.A. to England. For travel in the year 2009 (in the Spring, or Summer, or Fall) the prices for airline tickets are now the same as the prices were for travel during those months in the year 2008. (United Airlines to Munich from Chicago, for example). I guess the prices for airline tickets for flying to Europe in the Spring or Summer or Fall of 2009 will be much higher if the tickets will be purchased in the year 2009. (Because of a continuing decline of value of the U.S. Dollar). The next day when the airlines will change their prices for tickets, the prices could be much higher than they are now. United Airlines now has decent prices for flying to Europe in September of 2009. (The prices for flying to Europe in September are very much lower than the prices for flying to Europe in August).

Posted by
1717 posts

An amendment to my previous reply here : The prices for airline tickets for travel during the year 2009 are not exactly the same as prices for airline tickets for travel to the same places during the year 2008. Airlines now add fees for checked baggage. United Airlines will add a "checked baggage fee" of 15 U.S. Dollars for one bag for each flight within the United States of America. No fee for carry-on bags. The fee for a second checked bag, per person, is much higher. The fees are for passengers booking tickets on or after September 15, 2008.

Posted by
3551 posts

From east coast to lower fare european airports ie Frankfurt, I do not think $800
incl all surcharges and taxes is a good fare.However if you are going to Rome, Athens or other pricey destinations I would buy it.

Posted by
3250 posts

Update: After following the fares and much searching using Kayak.com we've just purchased tickets for $677. RT on Air France from Atlanta to Paris for mid-January travel. We planned to travel over the holidays but it was more expensive airfare and hotel-wise--though January is not an ideal time to travel weather-wise it seems less expensive and Paris is lovely anytime of the year.

Posted by
2030 posts

Sharon you are right -- I was in Paris last January and it was lovely. I think you will have a great time. So uncrowded!

Posted by
1717 posts

Sharon, I think a price of $ 677. is the "normal" price for flying from Atlanta to Paris, and return, in the month January. As you may know, the prices for airline tickets for flying across the Atlantic Ocean (round trip) in the year 2008 are $ 200. higher than the prices were in the year 2006, because the Airlines pay much more money for jet fuel in the year 2008, compared with the year 2006. The low priced airline tickets for flights to Paris in January are likely to be sold out in October.

Posted by
4 posts

Sharon,
We are first time travelers to Italy, heading out this week. About 2 months ago I got tickets, using a combination of miles and cash through NWA for $270 RT from Chicago to Rome! We are traveling on KLM, one of NWA's partner airlines, and found this deal through their worldperks website. I'm not sure if they are still offering the deal or not, but it's worth a shot if you're a FF with NWA. Happy hunting!

Posted by
73 posts

Today I see fares from Louisiana to Paris $712--anyone care to guess if it will go lower?

Posted by
65 posts

The Airlines have to be jumping up and down with the oil prices right now. They raised their fares with the high oil prices in the summer but have not taken them back down yet. Gas in Nashville today is $1.99 in several places and lower in other areas. I just booked for my summer 09 trip and am using advantage miles so a smilely face for that. I think we may see a fare decline after the holidays. If oil stays low, I think the dollar may stay in fare shape against the Euro, 09 could be a great year to travel if you have a job and did not go busted in the market. The fare on AA I was looking @ dropped $60 this week on my return from Frankfurt to Nashville.

Posted by
3250 posts

Airfares these days are like the stock market--it's just anyone's guess about where the bottom is and when is the best time to jump in. My Kayak.com "Buzz" today showed fares from Atlanta to London for April for $690. and Istanbul for $699. for March. A couple of weeks ago news stories reported that airlines were raising fares for holiday travel--now today on CNN.com it's reported that airlines are cutting fares for holiday travel. It's absolutely unpredictable!