Please sign in to post.

rail or car

For independent travel, would you recommend eurotrain or car rental? I have seen some fly/drive tours which include hotels and car rental. Would it be more expensive to drive (2 senior women)? We would like more independence than some of these tours. I have driven in Europe, but that was over 50 years ago. :)

Posted by
360 posts

Where do you plan on going?
When are you going?

Posted by
6950 posts

Driving is generally not a good idea if you'll be visiting major cities where driving is difficult or impossible. But even if you're not in major cities, your age and lack of recent experience with driving in Europe are two important factors here. As we age, carrying bags becomes more problematic, and while it might be nice to have a car to tote your bags to and from your hotels you should remember that, like your shoulder and back muscles, your driving skills might not be what they once were; even if they seem good enough for getting around back home, they may not be adequate for more stressful driving in completely new driving environment. The last thing you want on your vacation is some sort of accident. But you don't want to stress out your body either, and getting from platform to platform up and down stairs with bags can do that. If you aren't able to walk comfortably a good distance with your own bags, or cannot reduce your load to something manageable, then you shouldn't be using trains either. No one wants to visit a doctor in another language, so make sure you can handle the load. Trains will likely be cheaper than a car too - but it's hard to say without knowing your exact destinations. I suggest you look into independent tours as well before you decide - some offer bus transportation and arrange hotels or apartments, then leave you on your own. Have a look at Untours.

Posted by
4 posts

We are going to Paris, Italy and into northern Italy perhaps entering Switzerland at some point. Not sure how far South we are going into Italy, perhaps Rome.

Posted by
4 posts

I am sorry I didn't tell you we are planning to go Sept-Oct 2012.

Posted by
360 posts

in general a car is not needed for any of the cities, areas you mentioned and fees can be very high for picking up a car in one country and dropping off in another. It could work with your itinerary to rent a car for a small section of your trip or for a day trip here of there but it doesn't seem worth the hassle for most of your locations. I've rented before in Italy but I usually try to avoid it, I live in LA where I drive too much and I prefer not to have to hassle with it when travelling.

Posted by
6950 posts

Paris-Rome: Ryanair is selling seats for 29€ between Paris Beauvais and Rome Ciampino in September. Make your way north from there on the ground in some fashion.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you. I agree with you and it may be more trouble to deal with a car unless for a day trip.

Posted by
32327 posts

Carol, Although you've already made a decision, a few points to mention for "future reference". For the route you mentioned, travel by rental car would not be the best idea. If you rented the car in Paris and drove in Switzerland, you'd need to obtain the Highway Tax Vignette. That's not usually a big deal unless you don't know about it and get fined! For driving in Italy, EACH driver would require the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. Failure to produce an IDP can result in fines on the spot! There's also the issue of Zona Traffico Limitato (restricted traffic) areas which also have heavy fines. For travel from Paris to Rome, you might also have a look at flights with EasyJet from Paris / ORY to Rome / FCO. They currently have flights listed from about €36-85 on that route. While they may be slightly more expensive than RyanAir flights, keep in mind that Paris Beauvais is a considerable distance outside Paris, so you'd have to factor in the time and cost to get there. ORY is relatively easy to get to, and flies into the main airport in Rome, FCO. As with any budget flights, there will be additional "fees" and you'll have to be VERY careful with baggage weights. Also note that many carriers in Europe allow only ONE carry-on item. This doesn't mean "one plus a personal item such as a Purse or Laptop case", it means ONE ONLY of the approved size. In my experience, they DO enforce that most of the time. You didn't say which places you were planning to visit in northern Italy and Switzerland, but generally speaking it's very easy to get around by train there. Happy travels!