Please sign in to post.

Milan Airport

Got a fantastic fare to Milan but are traveling to Rome. How much time should I allow from landing in Milan to getting to the train station to travel to Rome?

Posted by
32327 posts

Carmel, I'd suggest leaving at least 1-2 hours to collect your luggage, get through Passport control and to the station (remember you'll be tired and jet lagged, and it could be crowded depending on how many flights are arriving at about that time). I'm assuming you'll be arriving at Terminal 1, so you can depart from the Malpensa rail station. There are a few direct trains from there to Rome (travel time 4H:23M), but most likely you'll have one connection at Milano Centrale (travel time 4H:16M). Check the Trenitalia website for rail schedules, to get some idea on departure times around the time of your flight arrival. Happy travels!

Posted by
360 posts

are you flying into MXP or LIN?
MXP will take longer to get through than LIN

Posted by
6898 posts

If you are arriving at Malpensa, you will most likely take the Regionale train to Milan Centrale first. At Milan Centrale, you will change to a high-speed. The high-speeds depart Milan for Bologna/Florence/Rome about once an hour. The big hint here is to avoid buy an advance ticket on the train that is too close to your plane arrival. Eurostar tickets are for specific trains at specific times. Planes are often late and that will cause difficulties if you run the chance of missing your train. You can buy your Malpensa to Rome tickets at the Malpensa train station.