Please sign in to post.

train from Avignon to Paris

We will be traveling in the south of France and want to drop off a car in Avignon and train to Paris. I have been on a few of the different rail sites and really can't figure them out. I know the new schedule is not printed as yet but I don't know where to get off in Paris either. Have not made any hotel arrangements for Avignon or Paris as yet. I chose Avignon because I think it would be a non stop with no change into Paris. Can anyone give me some advice?

Posted by
977 posts

Catch train at Avignon TGV station for direct run into Paris. DBahn is the best site to check rail details in my experience.
I can highly recommend a wonderful B & B in Avignon 'Le Clos Du Remparts'. Google it for further details. Aida the owner, is an absolute gem.

Posted by
524 posts

Marilyn Good that you are looking at the rail sites. At this point in your travel planning, it is time to buy Rick Steves France Guide which will provide lots of transportation info and sightseeing info including what you are looking for. If you have never been to Europe, also buy RS Europe through the Backdoor for great overview on traveling in Europe. The easiest website for you to look at is RailEurope (but don't buy there.) Use a date in the next 6 weeks and it will give you the information you need. Yes, there are non stop TGV trains from Avignon TGV station (there are 2 train stations in Avignon) to Paris Gare de Lyon. TGV trains are the fast trains in France. There are also other cities you can leave from as well. Bon Voyage! Bobbie

Posted by
6898 posts

The rail website for you to view is www.tgv-europe.com. When the map comes up, choose Great Britain as your home country. Don't worry. I'm just trying to keep you on TGV-Europe. If you select the USA, the site will switch you to RailEurope which you don't want. Type in Avignon and wait for the system to show you the two Avignon train station. Select Avignon-TGV. Type in Paris and select the first Paris FR. Type in a date and a very early departure time if you are less than 90 days out. You will see the runs. You will also see that it's about a 3hr train journey. You will also see the PREM ticket prices that are a lot lower (they are non-refundable). If your date is farther out, wait for your 90 day window and buy online. You can print your tickets out at home without going to Great Britain to pick them up.

Posted by
2092 posts

Marilyn, The Deutsch Bahn site (see "Favorite Links" above) might be easier to use to get all the info you want but not for purchase since the travel isn't in Germany at all. There are non-stops into Paris Lyon (which means Paris, gare de Lyon) but some departures you would have to change in Lyon (station "Lyon Part Dieu"). The trains from Avignon and to the west of France (Geneva, Lausanne, Colmar etc) arrive at the Paris gare de Lyon so you will know when to get off! The train won't continue on to the other stations. When you use the tgv-europe.com site to actually purchase your ticket, you might even find that a 1st cl ticket costs less than a 2nd cl one! You should be able to print your ticket at home but one year I wasn't able to (no idea why not) but just picked it up at the train station when we first arrived.

Posted by
3580 posts

I have used the website: iDTGV.com for trains in France. There are often "sales" with low prices between Paris and Avignon.

Posted by
8700 posts

The iDTGV site only lists trains that have iDTGV service ("zen" cars that are quiet and "zap" cars that are lively). The tgv-europe site lists all trains, including iDTGVs. Most TGVs from Avignon to Paris depart from the Avignon TGV station which is outside the city. Those trains are non-stop. A few TGVs depart from the Avignon Centre station. Those trains make a few stops. All TGVs arrive at Gare de Lyon. If you book well in advance (up to three months allowed) on the tgv-europe site, you can get a Prem's fare as low as €25.00. You can book iDTGVs up to four months in advance on either site. The lowest fare is €19.00.