Please sign in to post.

Train from Venice

Is there a train that goes from Venice to Pisa? Next would be Pisa to Rome?

Posted by
62 posts

Thank you so much for your responses...unfortunately I searched and you confirmed my suspicions and my challenge! Grazie

Posted by
62 posts

Do you know where to rent a car in Venice other than the airport or how difficult it may be? Still would like to go from Venice to Pisa before heading down to Rome and south. Thanks!

Posted by
6898 posts

There is no direct train from Venice to Pisa. You will change trains at Florence SMN. It's a 3.5hr. journey. There are, however, direct trains with no changes from Pisa to Rome. There are about 4 high-speeds (2hrs36min) and about 3-4 Regionale Veloces (4hrs). There are also train runs from Pisa to Rome via Florence but you will change trains in Florence.

Posted by
1260 posts

Hi LP. Train from Venice to Pisa is a high speed train to Florence (Italian abbreviation FI.SMN), then change to a regional train to Pisa; total time 3 to 4 hours. For Pisa to Rome (arbbrev ROMA TE), there are several direct trains per day; 3 hours or less. website is trenitalia.com, there is an English option at top of screen.

Posted by
8700 posts

According to viamichelin.com, driving time from Venice to Pisa is 4 hours without any stops and with no traffic issues. (So it will definitely take you longer than that.) The site also estimates that you will spnd €22 in tolls if you drive on freeways and €36 for gasoline or diesel. If you take a high-speed train from Venice to Florence and a regional train to Pisa, you'll be in Pisa in 3 1/2 hours, even with a 30-minute layover in Florence. If you book well in advance (up to 90 days allowed) on the Trenitalia site, you can get a 2nd class Mini fare of €34.00. The fare for a regionale train from Florence to Pisa is €5.90.