Please sign in to post.

Railpass or point to point?

We are doing an open jaw in Spring 2008 into London out of Paris. Wondering if the chunnel is the best transportation from London to Paris? We would like to do a night train to Venice from Paris and back again as well as some small day trips on the train out of Paris. Wondering what is the total cost for two on night train to Venice from Paris in a sleeper with a France/Italy pass? I can't figure out the resevation/supplement costs.

Posted by
4132 posts

You need to cost things out. Supplements apply to both passes and tickets, so they are irrelevant to the "pass vs. point-to-point" equation. My guess is that a pass would be more expensive than tickets, but that might depend on the tickets.

Good for you for flying open jaws. However, you'd save even more time flying open jaws London & Venice (or Milan). Also, at that time of year I'd go south to north: Venice-Paris-London. Bon voyage!

Posted by
19092 posts

I agree that you need to cost things out. One of the big problems with rail passes is the difficulty finding reservation after you have purchased them.

Rail Europe looks to be the least expensive option. A double sleeper on the train from Paris to Venice (or return) would cost $115 pP from them. That's on top of a two $364 rail passes (5 day 3 country select saver passes). The total would be $1188.

French Rail (www.sncf.fr/indexe.htm) does sell complete ticket packages (rail and supplement) for about $198 for a double sleeper on that train. If you did that, you would spend $792 - $396 less. So, if three days of small day trips would cost less point-point than $396, it looks like you would be ahead vs. a pass. However, you need to work out other details, like what you would spend the other three days, how much you would save on the Chunnel (Passholder price), and if you can get the sncf price.

Posted by
19092 posts

The price difference (pass vs P-P) becomes more signijicant if you choose a 2nd class (6 person) couchette instead of the sleeper. SNCF sell those online for €55 per person one way (~$80), vs a $39 supplement (still on top of two $364 passes). So, it looks like about $320 for full tickets (plus 3 days of small trips) vs. almost $900 if you use a pass.

By the way, the difficulty of purchasing full tickets is that French Rail won't ship them to the US (they want you to use the more expensive RailEurope, which they own). You have to retrieve them at an automat in France.