Please sign in to post.

Express Train from FCO to the Termini Rail Station

Ok, I figured out that we can use our 1st class global pass on the Leonardo Express train, but we will have two young adults with Youth Global passes which are only issued 2nd class. Do they have to just buy a regular ticket for this train or do they pay a supplemental price? Thank you!

Posted by
19240 posts

The Leonardo Express is 1st class only.

Posted by
6898 posts

Thanks Lee. I learned something here. Looking at the Leonardo Express on the Trenitalia website, I've always noticed that there were 1st class fares and 2nd class fares. Looking more close, I see that they are the same. It's a 1st class train.

Posted by
19240 posts

According to the Eurail website, "From Rome Fiumicino International airport,there are connections to Roma Tiburtina/ Ostiense (train every 15 minutes- all Passes are accepted) and Roma Termini (train every 30 minutes - only 1st class Passes are valid on the Leonardo Express.)". The Trenitalia website say nothing about a supplemental charge, only full price, €14. There is also a conventional train from Fiumicino to Rome - several stations including Roma Ostiense and Roma Tiburtina station. Takes about 15 min longer but leaves twice as often.

Posted by
6898 posts

The Leonardo Express is a Regionale train. Your passes are good on all Trenitalia Regionale trains througout Italy without any supplemental fees. No seat reservations are permitted on the Regionale trains. It's only a 25-minute train ride so I wouldn't worry about 1st or 2nd class. Ride in 2nd class so that you don't get separated.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all so much! This is very helpful. I really appreciate it. I am finding that the Italian trains are the most difficult to figure out and book. My Eurail book shows a train from Pisa to Venice but when I try to find the route online, it is as if it does not exist. hmmm Thank you again!

Posted by
19240 posts

Cari, European rail schedules normally go for six months from about the 2nd weekend in December or June. Most rail lines, like German Rail (Bahn) had their new ones in the system available for everyone in early December, but Italian Rail is always slow with theirs, and they are just beginning to be shown. German and Austrian rail websites now only show a couple of trains on that route a day, and it looks like RailEurope doesn't show any, but the full schedule will probably be in place eventually for everyone. In the meantime, it looks like Italian Rail's website, www.trenitalia.com, does have the schedules online from Pisa to Venice, at least for express trains. If you are looking for one continuous train from Pisa to Venice there probably isn't one, but there are hourly "connections", with a regional train to Florence and an express train from there.

Posted by
8700 posts

As Lee said, you can take a Regionale train from Pisa to Firenze and a high-speed EuroStar Italia train from there to Venezia Santa Lucia. With passes you won't have to pay extra for the Pisa-Firenze leg, but you'll have to pay a seat reservation fee of €10 for the Firenze-Venezia leg. For complete timetables which include legs on Regionale trains, enter a date within the next seven days on the Trenitalia site.

Posted by
6898 posts

Cari, it looks like www.trenitalia.com has made their mid-year schedule adjustments. I can see the entire train journey from Pisa Centrale to Venice-Santa Lucia. Per Tim's post above, you will take a Regionale train to Florence where you will change to a high-speed Eurostar. http://orario.trenitalia.com/b2c/nppPriceTravelSolutions.do?car=0&stazin=pisa&stazout=venice&datag=15&datam=03&dataa=2012&timsh=05&stazin_r=Staz_DA&stazout_r=Staz_A&timsm=40&timsm_r=40&lang=en&nreq=5&channel=tcom&npag=1&lang_r=en&nreq_r=5&channel_r=tcom&npag_r=1&x=26&y=9