Please sign in to post.

Car Rental in Austria

If anyone has had experience renting a car in Austria, I'd be interested in your experience. Who did you rent from? Any problems? Thanks.

Posted by
1167 posts

Check out www.gemut.com. They are a US based company that guarantees the lowest rate with major rental companies. I rented from them in Spain earlier this year and they DID match a lower rate that I found.

Posted by
188 posts

Thanks, Jeff. This is the type of information I'm looking for.

Posted by
3262 posts

We rented a car through Kemwel and paid 155 Euro for 3 days. We picked up a compact car in Salzburg at a Europcar location and dropped off at a Europcar location in Vienna. Finding the rental car pick-up location in Salzburg was easy and we were able to take the bus there. Driving in Vienna was a challenge and we had difficulty finding the rental drop-off location. In the future, we'll carefully map out the pick-up/drop-off locations. Otherwise, it was a good experience. Note that if you pick-up at an airport, sometimes there is an additional fee.

Posted by
2956 posts

Hi Mary, We've rented through www.gemut.com our last 3 trips. Picked up and dropped off in Germany. Where in Austria are you thinking of picking up and then returning the car? I ask as if it's near the German border, you most likely will get a better price renting in Germany. Say you're looking to get a car in Salzburg, I'd get it in nearby Freilassing, Germany. If you're looking at Innsbruck, train the hour to Garmisch, Germany and rent it there. Andy Bestor at Gemut.com can help advise what's best and most economical for your trip. Paul

Posted by
188 posts

Paul, We're not sure we're going to be renting a car at all because we are looking for a home exchange. We've had an offer from a family near Salzburg that's nearly perfect for us but unfortunately does not come with a car exchange. If we were to go with this exchange, we would have to rent a car. Chances are we'd fly into Munich, so we would probably rent a car in Germany. However, our preference is for an exchange that includes a car as well. And our preference is for an exchange in Bavaria as well. Thanks for the information. Mary