Please sign in to post.

Italy in December

I will be in Milan for business 12/12-12/16 and will have a few days available before I leave for home 12/20. I was hoping to go somewhere else, but not too far as I will have my mother with me. Any Suggestions? I have thought about somewhere in the lake district (Verenna, Bellagio, etc) but didn't know what would be best the week before christmas. any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Amy Fort COllins, CO

Posted by
10344 posts

Amy: I was at Lake Como in September, have never been there in December. One of the first things you might want to check at the websites of the accommodations listed in Rick's Italy book (for the Lake Como towns) is to confirm that there are accomodations open that time of year. Assuming there are, you may have the Lake pretty much to yourself--the lake is at the base of the mountains and will be chilly in December.

Posted by
479 posts

Amy, about the only practical "not too far" destination from Milan is the Lake Como area. The Matterhorn in Switzerland is not very far away, but the logistics of getting there in an efficient amount of time can be tricky (it's in the mountains, afterall!).

Posted by
5528 posts

Hi Amy,

How far is too far? From Milan, it is just a couple of hours by train to a number of places. For example, on a fast train it is under 3 hours to Venice. Verona and Padua are also on this line.