Please sign in to post.

Travel In Ireland

Hello. We will be in Ireland for 5days in Oct and will not be renting a car. We would like to fly into Dublin and then take a train to Killarney. But once we get into Killarney we are having a hard time finding a way back to London Gatwick Airport. Kerry Airpot is close but does not fly there and Shannon is about 2 hours away but can't seem to find a way to the airport to accomadate the only flight out which is at 12:00. Any suggestions or tips? Would a taxi be out of the questions or do you recommend flying into London to another airport and try and fly out of Kerry Airport?
Thanks!

Posted by
8700 posts

I just checked the search engine skyscanner.com and didn't find any direct flights on any airline from Shannon to Gatwick. Where did you find a 12:00 flight? You could fly from Kerry to London Luton on Ryanair, spend the night in London, and take a train to Gatwick in the morning.

Posted by
6 posts

Tim - it was on Ryan Air. I just checked and was able to find a flight for Sat, 10/29 around noon. It is later 14:00 or so on Thursday. We perfer to fly out Friday but that is not available or Saturday. I think since we have so little time we may just have to spend the time in Dublin and see if we can find day trips. Thanks.

Posted by
8700 posts

P.D. - Now I see why my search on skyscanner.com failed to show that noon flight from Shannon. As you noted, the flight doesn't operate every day and the arbitrary date I entered happened to be one of those days. It looks like your best choices are either Kerry-Luton or Kerry-Stansted, both on Ryanair, with a night's stay in London. If you decide not to go to Killarney, you certainly can find plenty to do in Dublin and on nearby day trips.

Posted by
8700 posts

I see from your other thread that you are thinking about renting a car for part of your time in the UK. So if you're willing to rent a car when you leave Dublin, then fitting in Killarney and/or Dingle is more workable. You won't be dependent upon train and bus schedules and you can turn in your car at either Shannon or Kerry. If you decide to do this, I suggest that you spend two nights in Dingle and take a leisurely drive around the Slea Head Peninsula, allowing plenty of time to get out of the car and take a few walks. That gives you two evenings to listen to traditional music sessions in one or more local pubs.