Please sign in to post.

carry on baggage restrictions

We are traveling on Continental, Lufthansa, and US Air to Italy. How strict are the L W H restrictions - in the US I am able to bring a carry on that is 22 X 15 X 9.5. If it is off by and inch or 2, do they not allow this on an international flight?

Posted by
23562 posts

It will depend solely on the counter person and maybe the gate person. I have stood in a line with Lufthansa a couple of time when nearly everyone was asked to put their bag in the dreaded sizing box. Most carry ons with wheels and handles failed. And I am boarding a couple of planes where people were pulled from the line and again forced to use the box. And have been on many peoples where no one said anything and lots of big stuff was carried on. It just depends. A couple of inches is a big difference and it is a rolling bag you probably should be prepared to check it. If they do not check you, then you are fine but if they do you will probably fail.

Posted by
1259 posts

Kit, as Frank says, it's hard to predict. However, it's no big deal if they don't allow you to carry on; they'll just check it and you pick it up when the plane lands. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks, one more question - our flight is from Newark to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Venice - if they check it in Newark, will I have to pick it up in Frankfurt, or will it go all the way through as if I had checked it upon arrival?

Posted by
1178 posts

Unless you are spending some time, not just changing planes, the luggage should be at your final destiation when you arrive. You would not need to get it at the intermediate stop. Be sure it is checked all the way through.

Posted by
19238 posts

If Lufthansa uses the sizing box, and the bag is rigid to those dimensions, it's not going to fit. The box is only 7-7/8" wide, a rigid 9½" wide bag is too big. However, if it is flexible and not packed completely full, it should deform to fit. But not completely full is the key. The volume of the bag you describe is a little over 3100 cu in. The volume of the box is almost 2700 cu in. I've flown three times on Lufthansa with a lightly packed RS convertible bag and put it in the sizing box (voluntarily) and it always fit.

Posted by
16 posts

thanks, i think i'll go buy another carry-on bag!