Please sign in to post.

Swiss Pass or Flexi Pass (or other?)

I'm confused about which travel pass will be the better way to go. I'm travelling to Switzerland from Sep. 24 to Oct. 2 with a companion. We will be staying in Lauterbrunnen for 7 days, taking the trams, trains, & gondolas all around the area for hiking and sightseeing. Which travel pass option will allow us the greatest savings? (assume 2nd Class). Thank you!

Posted by
7209 posts

Bob, the Swiss Pass is definitely the top-of-the-line Swiss Travel Pass. You just hop on and hop off anytime anywhere as many times as you like on all forms of transport. It's exceptionally convenient. However, your number of days in Switzerland doesn't exactly match any of the preset number of days of the Swiss Pass. I hate for my pass to run out before I'm finished traveling and I also hate to overbuy and have unused days leftover...even though I've paid for it. I also try to stay away from passes that limit me to one particular region such as the Berner Oberland Regional Pass or the Jungfrau Pass. There are so many beautiful places in Switzerland why limit your possibilities? Having been to Switzerland many times I know the transportation is expensive as is everything else. I'm thinking your best bet might be the Half Fare Card which does exactly like it says. All your trips are 1/2 price with your Half Fare Card. On the private high mountain railways like the Jungfrau you'll also get 1/2 off which is a big savings...probably enough to pay for the card. The card is valid for 1 month and includes travel all over Switzerland.

Posted by
501 posts

I agree with Tim, one-half fare pass, approx. $110 USD, especially good for the area you are going to. Make sure you spend some time in Murren.