Please sign in to post.

Lockers in Train Stations

Are there lockers in the train stations large enough to hold luggage that we are traveling with day to day because we are staying in a different place every night. Going to and through Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Rome, Etc....

Posted by
23311 posts

Most of the time there will be lockers or a left luggage area in major train stations. As the train statiosn gets smaller, the probability of lockers go down substantially.

Posted by
4408 posts

Exactly. Do you know where you'll be each of these nights? You can look up and (usually) find out about lockers at specific stations. I know some of the Italian and German stations with and without lockers/luggage hold, but I don't think I'll list them all here from memory ;-)

Posted by
19104 posts

Looking for lockers "large enough to hold luggage that we are traveling with day to day" is a little vague. You could pack light like me or need a truck. I put my regulation carryon in one of those small lockers on the left There was probably room in it for another regulation carryon. If that's not enough, there are some, bigger, more expensive ones. This was in Fuessen; some smaller stations in Germany, eg, Harburg, don't have lockers. In Bad Mergentheim, there were lockers, but they were all taken. In Bamberg, the lockers were all taken but I took the bus into town, and there were more, less expensive lockers at the bus station there. The key thing here is to pack light enough that you can carry your luggage with you if there are not lockersl

Posted by
4535 posts

Many will but some will not. Some stations have no lockers at all. And sometimes they fill up, especially the larger lockers. So try to research each station and have a backup plan. Every hotel will also either hold your bags for the day after you check out or hold them before you can check in. Oh - and have plenty of coins on hand.